Overheated Lager Stopped Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredfoodphilly

Reaction score
I have a Vienna Lager that I brewed Sunday and used a cake of WLP833 that I brewed a Maibock with, I did a 2 stage starter on that beer and it fermented for 17 days, 54F 10 days, 58F 3 days, 60F 3days, 64F 4 days. I checked Monday morning (morning after brewing)and is was bubbling nice, I checked it a few hours later and the thermometer inside the fermentation chamber read 93F, I opened it up and saw that the probe fell off, and the beer was warm, I shut the chamber off, and kept it open, it is in the garage, and is was really cold yesterday, I checked it like 4 hours later and it stopped bubbling. I waited for the carboy to cool, and turned it on at 54F. Its stabilized, but 24 hours later and fermentation hasn't resumed. Any ideas on a solution, not panicking yet, but would like to head off trouble. Thanks in advance.

When the temperature got that warm, the yeast probably went nuts on everything it could find. This is one of those instances where I would recommend taking a gravity reading, and actually tasting the beer too. I honestly think this beer could be fine as most if not all, of your fermentation was already over.

I will take a gravity, my hunch is it isn't done, I was thinking of giving it a stir, and raising the temp to 65, than when it re-starts, ramping down slowly to 54F.

I second that I bet it's done. With a healthy pitch (yeast from a cake) most of my lagers are at 99% FG within 7-10 days.

I might have not been so clear, the Maibock is done and lagering, it is the second beer pitched on that cake that got hot only 1 day after starting. I ramped up the temp, and went in a few hours later and took a gravity reading, I was 8.5P, still a way to go. I added some fermcap, oxygenated, and gave it a good stir. Good this is that it had definite CO2 blanket. I think it will be good, I'm gonna ramp it down to 54F over the next 2 days.

I might have not been so clear, the Maibock is done and lagering, it is the second beer pitched on that cake that got hot only 1 day after starting. I ramped up the temp, and went in a few hours later and took a gravity reading, I was 8.5P, still a way to go. I added some fermcap, oxygenated, and gave it a good stir. Good this is that it had definite CO2 blanket. I think it will be good, I'm gonna ramp it down to 54F over the next 2 days.

You oxygenated after it started fermenting?

Back