Overflowing starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was building up my starter (WLP 400) for an imperial Hef. Unfortunately I must have set the stir plate too fast because there was a ton overflowing the flask this AM (less than 12 hours on there). I was going to toss in more wort to replace the lost yeast, but I have no clue how much to add. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

some yeasts have a vigorous fermentation, including starters. No need to add yeast, just clean up the mess and get a larger starter container for next time.

some yeasts have a vigorous fermentation, including starters. No need to add yeast, just clean up the mess and get a larger starter container for next time.

I'm not going to add more yeast, I was going to build it up again. I want to make sure I have enough yeast, but don't want to over pitch.

Thanks.

You probably didn't lose that much yeast, at least not enough to make an impact on your beer. I wouldn't worry about building it up again. If you add more wort, you're just going to have more overflow. Get some Fermcap-S. I use it in my boil, and even in the fermentor if fermentation looks like it's getting out of hand. One of the best investments I've made.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermcap-s-foam-inhibitor-1-oz.html

I feel for you as I did the same with 001 (CA Ale) about 2 weeks ago. In my case I started out with 3.5L in a 5L flask. First go round was no problem and I chilled/decanted and then went for round 2 adding another 3.5L of wort to the yeast and within hours I had a mess on my hands with yeast all over the stir plate/counter/floor. I was out of time (and DME - this stuff never happens when your brew shop is open) and just went with the remaining yeast I had. I brewed my beer (an 1.101 RIS) and pitched. I needed a blow off days 2/3/4 so think I ended up with enough yeast to do the job. Based on this experience I'm guessing that you may be ok.

I feel for you as I did the same with 001 (CA Ale) about 2 weeks ago. In my case I started out with 3.5L in a 5L flask. First go round was no problem and I chilled/decanted and then went for round 2 adding another 3.5L of wort to the yeast and within hours I had a mess on my hands with yeast all over the stir plate/counter/floor. I was out of time (and DME - this stuff never happens when your brew shop is open) and just went with the remaining yeast I had. I brewed my beer (an 1.101 RIS) and pitched. I needed a blow off days 2/3/4 so think I ended up with enough yeast to do the job. Based on this experience I'm guessing that you may be ok.

Thanks. My imperial Hef is "only" 1.089. So suppose I'll be fine. Thanks again.

Thanks. My imperial Hef is "only" 1.089. So suppose I'll be fine. Thanks again.

Back