Overflow container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I did an Oktoberfest and somehow got more wort than I usually do, I think it was my extra large starter (first time with my new 3L flask). Anyway I force carb and hate to throw away almost a gallon of hopefully good brew. I was thinking of lagering the excess in a plastic gallon water jug (sanitized) and when a keg frees up - put that last gallon in to carb and go on like normal. Anyone see any flaws / issues in my thinkning?

If it were me I'd just bottle the last gallon in 22oz bombers.

There's nothing really wrong with your idea though as long as you rack it properly into your keg and don't aerate it too much.

It's almost that time of year for oktoberfest brews!!

Thanks all. I transferred to keg last night for lagering. I put the overflow in a sanitized gallon jug and gave it a blanket of co2 to remove any oxygen for storage. When lagering is done or I get a free keg I will put the overflow in a keg to force carb. Figners crossed.
OverFlow.jpg

Back