Overdue bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vick99504

Reaction score
I've been brewing about a year now and always follow the timeline to the exact day. I've been busy and a batch is a week overdue for bottling. Will it be ok? Is there any pros/cons for being late to bottle?"

It was first brewed five weeks ago and has been in secondary for 3 weeks now

I can't fathom any problem. 3 weeks in secondary should only help the flavors mellow and come together. My chocolate stout will have been in secondary 3 weeks before I bottle it (one week on its own and 2 weeks with cocoa nibs). An Irish Red I have in secondary now. If I don't bottle it this weekend, which I doubt I will, it will be a month in there.

what style is it?

the "timeline" of 2 primary - 2 secondary - 2 bottling has for the most part been debunked as not precise. in fact a lot of people on the homebrew scale are abandoning the use of a secondary, as it's being proven that there's not too much benefit considering the risks. that doesn't mean people aren't still doing it. but it's not necessary.

along those lines, some people are debunking the myth that on the homebrewing scale you will get yeast autolysis after only a couple weeks. there are some people reporting that they're leaving beer on yeast cakes for more than four months.

all that to say, don't go off of a timeline, go off of style. if you do the first 2-3 weeks in the primary right, there's not necessarily a need for secondary. then bottle after 2-3 weeks, and let that sit for 3 weeks. that's my method. i haven't done any styles right now that absolutely require a secondary, and if i dry hop, i just toss them right into the primary.

although, if you are using a secondary as a way to free up your primary for more brewing, then by all means, use that secondary!

but to answer your question after all of that, you're just fine. just bottle like normal, and enjoy after bottle conditioning is finished!

It's the patersbier from northern Brewers. I haven't really started experimenting on my own aside from adding some lemon zest and some other things on premise recipes. Thanks for the info!

Back