Overcoming cold garage temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
I've recently relocated my set up to a much colder climate. Fermentations will take place in a garage that stays about 40 degrees for most of the winter. If you have a suggestion to keep my fermentation temps. in the proper range I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey, I normally have to worry about getting mine to a cooler temperature so I'm not an expert. Our winters keep our house at 65 or so, so its fine... but the summers are what suck.

Anyway, you could likely make an insulated box on the cheap and heat it rather easily. I think I saw somewhere, someone put a light-bulb inside a paint can in such a box and it would flip on to raise the temp just enough. Just as an idea, someone more knowledgeable will let ya know I'm sure. I'll take a look around for the thread I saw for you though.

I use the mostly unheated basement where the temps are in the mid-50s. I keep the fermenter in a mini fridge (which, when it's not used as a fridge is just an insulated box.) Inside is a fermwrap hooked up to a Johnson 419. It keeps things anywhere I want between the mid 50s into the 70s.

I suppose a setup like that would work in your garage too, but 40 is pretty cold. Can't bring the fermenter inside, eh?

There's the somewhat pricey ($35) but very nice way..."Brewer's Edge" heat mat sold via Williams Brewing. I have one of these in my fermentation chamber and it works very nicely and takes up zero space, if space is tight in your fermentation chamber. Typically can overcome ambient temps up to 20°.

And then there's the really cheap but somewhat bulky . Just don't overdo the wattage or you'll get things kinda melty. My friend started out with a heat lamp inside of a paint can. That was a rather large mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tub of water and an aquarium heater. Put your fermenter in the tub, add water until it is up to or as close to the level of the wort, put in heater and set the temp.

I love my rubbermaid 10gal tub & 100W acquarium heater method. I can use this thing to get my Belgians to 95 degrees! All for <$40

you may need a 150 or 200 W for a very cold basement though...

Edit: D'oh!

JonM,
I like your idea considering I was planning on buying a temp. controller anyway. Add a fermwrap and put in the fridge. Thanks!

I use a 20 cuft freezer in my garage as a ferm chamber. Here's a pic of my brewpi page. I use a lasko my heat as the heating source. I have used a similar setup with an stc as well. My garage has insulated walls but not or or ceiling yet, so you know what I'm working with.

Edit: the gray line = garage temp.

Screenshot_2015-01-13-11-48-41.jpg

Fermentation Chamber with extra insulation. Once you go Dual temp controller, you'll never turn back.

stc-1000 and a lasko my heat. My garage was -20F the other morning and my beer was happy at 67F no issues.

Back