Overcarbonation and Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avibayer

Reaction score
My last two batches have been overcarbonated.

Batch one: An ESB that i used 5oz of Muntons kreamyx

Batch two: A chocolate stout that i put 2-3 Muntons CarbTabs into. The directions indicate 3 tabs for light carbonation.

Batch three: A winter ale i used coopers carbonation drops.

(I have consistently forgotten to buy priming sugar, and friends have given me the tabs for stocking stuffers)

The ESB was overcarbed, though not terribly. The stout geysers. Some of the winter ales have geysered.

All of the beers that intensely geyser, when poured into a glass, have had lots of sediment (mainly the stouts). Please help me learn from my mistakes. What am i doing wrong (other than not using priming sugar in the right amounts)?

My last two batches have been overcarbonated.

Batch one: An ESB that i used 5oz of Muntons kreamyx

Batch two: A chocolate stout that i put 2-3 Muntons CarbTabs into. The directions indicate 3 tabs for light carbonation.

Batch three: A winter ale i used coopers carbonation drops.

(I have consistently forgotten to buy priming sugar, and friends have given me the tabs for stocking stuffers)

The ESB was overcarbed, though not terribly. The stout geysers. Some of the winter ales have geysered.

All of the beers that intensely geyser, when poured into a glass, have had lots of sediment (mainly the stouts). Please help me learn from my mistakes. What am i doing wrong (other than not using priming sugar in the right amounts)?

you are going to have yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.If it is truly trub in the bottom you can either as i do carefully rack beer from brew pot into fermenter trying not to distrub the trub.Then rack beer from primary
same procedure.You could filter your wort from your brew pot as well
when empting it.

a few possibilities here. you don't have to buy 'priming sugar', which is dextrose (usually) if you don't want to. you can use the carb tabs, as you have, or even use table sugar. check this out (you can probably find a better calculator somewhere on the net):
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

you MIGHT have an infection in some of those bottles that are geysers, that's a common symptom of bacteria or wild yeast getting into your bottled beer. i think when a beer geysers like that, it will naturally stir up whatever sediment is in the bottle.

you could also try using less carb tabs in a few beers next time to see if that makes a difference. i've never used those, so maybe someone will chime in with experience.

With the stout, infection seems likely, considering i split it into five one gallon batches and then added peppers or other spices. I sprayed them down with sanitizer, but probably should have steamed them. Still, no off flavors.

I am familiar with the yeast that settle out, and leave the ring at the bottom. This seems like excessive sediment that ends up in the glass.

priming sugar (dextrose) seems like it is the easiest to modify in terms of volume added to beer. The tabs i played with, adding more to some and less to others, with little to no effect.

I recently bottled one 750ml lager - I kegged the rest of the batch. I added two Coopers drops as Ive used them before with great success and knew this would be about right. The bottle exploded a few days later. What I had forgotten was - I normally bottle with the beer at room temp but this batch had been lagering and was around 2C - BOOM.
Could that be the problem - what temp is the beer at bottling time ?

With the stout (coopers tabs) its been at room temp. When i put them in the fridge for a day or so, they dont geyser, just slowly erupt from the bottle. The beer is not overly carbonated, and they have been in the bottle for three weeks plus now. I brewed the batch mid december.

Back