Overcarbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
Second batch I've brewed that is over carbed for me, just opened a couple bottles. First was BM's Black Pearl Porter, this one was another porter, my own recipe. I only used 3.5 oz corn sugar for more than 5 gal. It is good (especially if I swirl it for 5 min before I drink a glass) just over carbed.

I used Wyeast 1028, fermented for 4 weeks, no secondary, 65-67 deg until final week at 70. FG was 1.018. I think there must have been a some fermentables left at bottling, can't think of anything else. I suppose an infection but I can't taste anything and I had no other problems or signs of infection.

What is a good way to ensure full fermentation? Am I missing something?

assuming your bottling sugar math is appropriate for the level of CO2 you want, it could always be a wild yeast infection. some friends of mine always get a weird infection when they brew in one guy's basement, the beer starts out overcarbed and quickly becomes very thin bodied and cloudy, and the taste gets a bit yeasty. hopefully this does not apply to your beer! if everything is fine with the beer and you are confident about your fermentation, then... add less sugar?

To answer your last question, the best way to ensure fermentation has completed is to take the gravity samples over a period of days. If the gravity hasn't dropped over that time then you know it has hit its final gravity.

Back