Overcarb problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've kegged two batches and have had the same problem with both. I initially set the pressure to about 30 psi to force carb. After a couple of days, I purge the keg and then turn down the pressure to 10psi. However, when I come back later, the pressure has creeped back up to 30psi or beyond. It seems the beer continues to pressurize way beyond what I have the regulator set on. It's hard to get it to stabilize at the correct psi.

If you are going to leave the pressure on for several days at serving temperature, you should set the pressure to the desired serving pressure. At 30 psi and chilled, one day should be enough.

Just purge the keg a few more times.

Unless you NEED to be carbonated within a couple of days...I think it's better to just set it at serving pressure and leave it alone. Yeah it'll take a week or more to fully carbonate, but then you're good to go. No overshooting or bouncing around. It's just simpler.

It is creeping back up, because the carbonation level is already more than what it would be at 10psi, so some gas is coming out of the beer and adding pressure to the system.

If you disconnet your gas in, you should see it stay stable at your serving pressure, as long as it stays there, you can just bleed your keg a couple times and it will level out.

Back