Over-primed/Prepare for bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
Hello all and happy new year.

I just bottled my...well it was a Belgium strong golden ale/duvel clone recipe but used a Danstar American West Coast Bry-97 Yeast instead of the WYeast Belgium Strong Ale yeast so i'm not too sure what style I really ended with.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.009
ABV: 8.01%
Attenuation: 86%
Volume: 4.2G

I miscalculated priming sugar, especially being unsure the desired CO2 volume for my unknown style. I used 118g of corn sugar.

My bottled will be kept in a room at 60-65F which puts my CO2 volume at between 2.7 and 2.8 which puts this batch at a higher carbonation than I am used to.

Am I at risk of bottle bombs or unwanted overcarbonation? If so I can try venting after a few days or storing at a lower temperature. Thoughts?

I don't think you'll be at a risk for bottle bombs. I've bottled at 3.5 volumes a number of times and never had an issue. If you are worried, though, you could stick them all in the fridge when they're done carbing up and that'll reduce the risk even further.

I don't think you'll be at a risk for bottle bombs. I've bottled at 3.5 volumes a number of times and never had an issue. If you are worried, though, you could stick them all in the fridge when they're done carbing up and that'll reduce the risk even further.

Ok thanks. I do intend in conditioning in bottles for a while so i'm expecting somewhat of a buildup over time. But knowing that im well under the 3.5 threshold is great. Cheers

You'll be fine....I typically use 5 oz priming sugar for 5 gallons, never had a bomb yet.... you used approx 4.16 ounces for 4.5 gallons.....I wouldn't worry at all, but - once fully carbed, keep them in the coolest place in your living quarters if concerned.....Depending on how often one brews, dunno if one has enough refridgerator space to hold everything bottled up, unless they have a basement full of fridges.... ;)

No worries. I over primed a stout one time that I thought was going to set off WWIII in my cellar. I primed to 4.0 and didn't have a rupture. The beer was terribly over-carbonated but that's a whole different issue!

These are all good suggestions. A rubbermaid sounds like a pretty cheap way to avoid injuries and at least localize the mess. Primed to 4 seems crazy! Must have been some job pouring those. And that is the dream, to have a basement full of coolers or to have some decent cold cellar.

Primed to 4 seems crazy! Must have been some job pouring those.

Yeah, not one of my proudest moments. I didn't even realize I had done it until I poured the first one. I went back and checked my notes and realized that I had calculated the priming solution for 5 gallons like normal even though I was only doing a small test batch. I think I still have a few of those in the fridge now that I think about it...lol

You'll end up with about 2.7 volumes. Might be high for the style, but who cares as long as it tastes good.
After carbonation, some pressure can be released by lifting the edge of the bottle cap. Immediately re-crimp to avoid foaming.

Latest posts

Back