Over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdwebsol

Reaction score
I have kegged my first keg and tried force carbonation. I chilled the keg first and set the C02 to 30 psi and gave it an easy shake and let it sit for about 30 hours. Gave it a try and it seemed a little flat. So I set it back to 30 psi and rocked the keg for a few minutes and let it sit for about another day.

Last night released the pressure and set the C02 to 10psi and know all I get is foam. I even turned off the C02 and I still get 90% foam.

Is there anything I can do to save the this batch?

I think next time I am going to just set it and wait.

Thanks!
Ken

Try to remove the GAS in, release all the gas, then turn down the gas to about 2 pounds and then re-attach the gas. This should give a nice slow pour. IF not, your lines are longer and you need more pressure, up the pressure slowly till you get the pour you want. I found that with 5 feet of bev line, it takes aprox 2-3 pounds to push the beer thru it on the lowest setting giving a NO FOAM pour.

And for overcabing, you will know it is overcarb'd when you pour a glass and it just keeps bubbling and bubbling and bubbling. Oh yea, it will also have a slight burn on your tounge and change the taste of the beer a ton.

You may not have overcarbed the beer( I agree with 6fiddyy). You probably just have too much pressure in the keg. I have had this same problem when force carbing, and when I release the pressure and get the right amount the beer comes out fine.

Thanks for the info!

So it sounds like I have my PSI high for serving.

Thanks again for the help! So much to lean....

I let the keg sit a little longer and released the pressure and set the serving pressure to about 1 ½ PSI.

I am still getting a lot of air in the serving line. It pours nice and slow and I can see air being poured. I can see air bobbles in the line after serving a glass. I do not see any leaks. Could there be a leak that does not leak the beer but still allows air? This is a new system and the only used part is the keg and it does have new seals.

I have a 2 taps system and tried both sides and I get air bubble in both. After everything sits for a little while the line is about half full of air. I did take the line off the keg and let in hang and no beer come out. I am guessing there is something wrong with keg or the beer..

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Ken

Since you're still having issues, I figured I'd chime in. I'm not kegging yet, but I've done some reading on it.

From what it sounds like, when you first tried a pour it was ok, albeit a bit flat.
How many times have you released the pressure on the keg? From what I've read, to get the over-carbonation out of a keg, you need to sort-of work in reverse: shake the keg, let it sit for a minute, then release the pressure. Repeat as necessary.

There could be something askew in your setup (leak etc). I don't know if it's possible, but maybe there's something wrong in the keg that is letting CO2 into the beer line. I'd double-check all your connections and fittings to make sure everything is tight and there are no leaks. Dumb question, but is it possible connections or quick releases are mixed up (gas in beer out)? Also, is the beer line kept cold all the way to the faucet? How about tuning beer line diameter and length. I think the consensus is 10' of 3/16" beer line for the most consistent results.

Just throwing stuff out there,
Chris

Thanks to all for the help. I have been busy with work for the last week or so and just left the keg at serving pressure and tried it last night. Seems all the problems are gone. My next keg I am just going to set it and wait a week or two.

Thanks again.

Ken

Back