Over carbonation, with possible problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
i have noticed that I overcarbinated a BIAB SMaSH. Besides the overcarbination, I am seeing a lot of floaties in the beer. unfortantly I did not get a pic of it. But I am wondering, due to the overcarbination , after I pop the top, that the carbonation would stir up the sediments? I have dumped the last 3 beers that did this.
The last beer of the batch I left it in the sink, and let the bottle like spew like a fountain.

It's possible that a rapid release of CO2 on opening would stir up the sediment, especially if it wasn't well compacted. Longer times in the fridge prior to opening should compact the sediment better, and reduce the effect of rapid CO2 release. How long are you chilling before opening? Also, are you chilling with the bottles upright?

Brew on :mug:

Get something sharp and prick the tiniest hole that you can make in the cap. It will still spew foam but maybe won’t stir up the sediment as bad. You can regulate the leak somewhat with what you used to make the hole. I had the same thing on a ginger beer. It didn’t totally solve the problem but it helped.

I did my carb calculation with beer Smith at 2.3. Beers are stored in the fridge for min 24 hours before opening and they are always up right.

Back