Over carbonated to under carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trosier

Reaction score
OK so I am a newbie and have completed my third batch using the Mr Beer kit. I have been all over this site trying not to ask a question that has already been answered but here goes. If this is a repeat I apologize. My first two batched were VERY carbonated. They were carbonated to the point that they were not fun to drink. I have since found a home brew store where I live and have been dealing with him asking questions. I followed the first two batches recipes to a T. The only mistake I think I made were some sanitization issues which I now understand. Following the first batch recipe 2.5 teaspoons of sugar went into each bottle. Another mistake I believe I made was using table sugar. Both batches again were very carbonated. Now fast forwarding to the third batch.

This is what I changed to try and solve that issue. The last batch I let in the fermenter for 1 month instead of 2 weeks. EVERYTHING was sanitized. There was nothing that touched that beer that was not run through Star-San, even the bottle caps. The next thing that was changed was that the beer was transferred from the fermenter to a second container for the mixing of the sugar instead of adding sugar to each individual bottle. This time I used corn sugar instead of table sugar for bottling. This was recommended by this site and my home brew shop. Next I let the beer sit bottled for 3 weeks instead of 2. I was so anxious to try it last Saturday I could hardly wait. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. Half a bottle down I tossed the rest of the bottle and started to churn about what I did wrong. It was flatter than a pancake. Actually the over carbonated batched tasted better.

So in conclusion there was no way I had a beer that was not fermented enough or a sanitization issue, not that I believe anyway. I think there was not enough sugar for the batch. Either the home brew guy told me wrong or I misunderstood. He told me when I bought the corn sugar, and he knew I was doing Mr Beer, to add 2 oz to the entire batch. So I went from 2.5 teaspoons per bottle of table sugar to 2 oz of corn sugar for the whole batch, which is about 20 bottles. That didn't seem right to me but he was the expert and I thought I understood what he said. On top of that he only sold me a 5 oz bag of corn sugar so who was I to argue. Anyway I would like to fix my remaining 18 bottles of beer. I am looking for some advice here for two things. One, is there a way to figure how much sugar I can add to the batch to fix it? Should I just add whatever is suggested to each bottle rather than pouring all of it back into a container to mix in the sugar. Why were my first two batches over carbonated and this one under?

Sorry for the long scenario but this is the first thread I have started and I searched all over looking for answers so I feel like I have done my homework. Now I am simply looking for some help. I want to move on to AGB but I want to figure out what went wrong with the extract batches first. Of course I want to fix my last batch as well so I can enjoy them. Thanks in advance for the help. It is much appreciated.

First off, get a new homebrew store.... He may have been steering you to get 2 volumes of CO2 into the beer, which would have been ok, but grossly undercut the amount you should have used. You should have used at least 3.3 oz of corn sugar, and that would have been on the low end. Second, carbonation takes time, with the lower amount of sugar, you will just need to wait longer, simple as that, it will eventually carb up just after a longer period.

The first two batches were likely over primed with sugar and that's why they felt overcarbed. This site lets you put in some info and gives the amount of different types of sugar you can use. Table sugar is fine, but it is used in a different amount than corn sugar.

How much corn sugar did you add before bottling? I think the rule of thumb is 1 oz. per gallon of wort, but I am no expert. Maybe someone else will come along with better advice.

Some thoughts:
2.5 tsp per 12 oz bottle is way too much sugar.
Table sugar is ok.
2 oz is ok for 20 12 oz bottles

- You might have a mixing problem – some over carbed and some undercarbed.
- Adding more sugar to a bottle tends to foam – and might over-carb if there is still some unfermented sugar present. You could get bottle bombs – very dangerous.
- Pouring back into a bottling bucket will oxidize it and cause a cardboard taste.
- You could try another week in the bottles – sometimes it takes longer.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

How long did you let the beer carb in the bottle and at what temperature?

Mr. Beer is 2 gallons, right? Or is it 2.5? I can't remember. If it is 2 gallons, 2oz is probably somewhere in the high 2's or maybe 3 volumes of CO2. That should be pretty well carbed. Not sure what the issue is here.

Also, how big are your bottles? Sounds like 12oz, but I wanted to make sure. Do you have a lot of headspace or do you fill them pretty close to the top?

How much corn sugar did you add before bottling? I think the rule of thumb is 1 oz. per gallon of wort, but I am no expert. Maybe someone else will come along with better advice.

This more depends on the beer type. 5 oz is typically too much for most 5 gallon batches.

How long did you let the beer carb in the bottle and at what temperature?

Mr. Beer is 2 gallons, right? Or is it 2.5? I can't remember. If it is 2 gallons, 2oz is probably somewhere in the high 2's or maybe 3 volumes of CO2. That should be pretty well carbed. Not sure what the issue is here.

Also, how big are your bottles? Sounds like 12oz, but I wanted to make sure. Do you have a lot of headspace or do you fill them pretty close to the top?

That is a good point, I forgot OP said something about Mr. Beer.

I added 2 oz of corn sugar and the Mr. Beer kit makes approximately 2 gallons. I think I remember him saying 1 oz per gallon. If it is a matter of time I am fine with that. I just want to make sure I am not waiting another month and have no better results.

Mr Beer makes 2 gallon batches, approximately 20 - 12 oz bottles. The 2.5 teaspoons of sugar was added because that is what the recipe called for. I was just following instructions.

Ha. I was surprised when you said 3.3oz would be on the low end!

And that's why multiple people comment on these things.... :drunk:

OP, if you want to do it individually, I might recommend getting the Cooper's Carb drops or something that is designed to do that, otherwise, batch priming will likely give you a better result. Any chance you had some trouble getting the caps on and they were leaking CO2?

I don't believe it is a mixing problem. The over carbonation happened on the first two batches obviously because of too much sugar. It sounds as if the under carbonation happened on the last, third, batch just because I just have to wait longer. It was not a mix and match of different carbonations within the same batch. In each batch the carbonation was the same between bottles. So do not add any sugar, the amount seems correct? Just wait longer?

Three weeks at 70f is a pretty standard minimum. Some beers will be ready a little faster, but you shouldn't expect it. If you bottled less than 3 weeks ago or you've kept them cooler than 70, wait longer.

I did the mr. Beer recommended 2.5 tsp in the liter PET bottles. After 2 weeks, they looked like they were going to explode. Even the caps were bulging. Since then I've always batch primed and used the screwy brewer priming calculator. It allows for tsp, tbsp, oz, and other measures for sugar, as well as different types of priming sugars.

As far as your other bottles of under carbed beer goes, be patient. It may never be quite as carbed as you'd like, but you'll be surprised at how much having the bottles sit out at 70-75 degrees F will help.

Awesome information folks, I appreciate it. I am going to let the rest of the beer bottles sit for another two weeks. The first three weeks were around 70-71 degrees. That is where the bottles will be for the next two weeks. Thanks for the help again and I will update the thread with the results.

Back