Over carbonated...rebottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelrapp

Reaction score
So I just made a Brown Ale recipe for the 2nd time (one I made up). For some reason this batch became way too carbonated (streams of foam shooting 2ft out of the bottle). I opened them all, in a sanitary set up, poured them back into a sanitized carboy. My hope is to be able to let the CO2 escape reintroduce some DME let that run through a quick fermentation rebottle with priming sugar. Can anyone tell me if this will work? The flavor of the beer was pretty accurate and only a mild yeast flavor was noticeable.

I think that should work. My main concern is the oxidation off-flavors that will result from the pouring of the bottles into the carboy. I'd add a pretty decent amount of DME asap to try to get some fermentation going so the yeast will hopefully use up all the oxygen that was introduced to the beer during the pouring.

Consider using a hydrometer next time to make sure fermentation is done before bottling. I'd guess you just bottled a little too soon.

Yeah I always use the hyrdometer. I made this recipe before and my gravity reading was right where it was on end of fermentation of first time brewing it. I jumped the gun. I wonder now exactly how low it would have gone based on the level of carbonation.

I had the same thing happen to a batch of RIS I made in Feb 2010. I just popped the bottles open for the first time during Christmas and holy hell are they overcarbonated. I even had one explode unknown to me until I opened the case. First and only bottle bomb ever. I checked the gravity but the WLP099 must have been SLOWLY working still when I bottled even though it seemed to be done for about two weeks. Either that or I somehow put in way too much priming sugar. All I've been doing is simply cracking a few bottles here and there letting them sit with a cap on to off gas for a while. Then I recap.

Back