Over Carbonated my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beady

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie (this is my first post) and just tapped my first batch.

I made an AHS British Pale Ale recipe from Austin Home Brew.

Everything went well throughout the process. I am using a Corny keg and added 1/3 cup of sugar when I racked into the keg and let it sit at ~72 - 74 deg under 10 lbs of pressure.

After 3 weeks I just tapped it. It was tasty, but flat so this morning I tried to force carbonate it. Now I've swung the other direction and I have a very over carbonated keg. I get pretty much a full pint of foam :(

I'm releasing pressure, rocking the keg, releasing presure, etc. hopeing that I can get things settled down.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to lower the Carbonation level of a keg?

Other than that it tastes fantastic !!!! I've got another batch in a keg (Fat Tire clone) and a Kolsch just went into the secondary.

I'd like to improve the process (or learn what I did wrong) before they get finished.

Thanks,

Beady.

Just set it to the serving pressure you want and leave it for a few days. You'll may want to hit the pressure release valve a few times until it's right.

In the future, I wouldn't prime with sugar and C02. Just hook it up at the serving pressure you want and leave it for a week - no shaking, no sugar, no problems - just let it sit!

Back