Over carbonated bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutOmatic

Reaction score
So yesterday I brought my beer home from my buddy’s where we brew and left it on the porch in the shade. It was 80 degrees today. Even after sitting in the fridge, I still got a beer shower when I opened the swing cap.
Beer is now in the basement, but can I salvage the batch? First time in 20 years of home brewing I’ve pulled this goof.

If it was already (and properly) carbonated, put it in the fridge for a few days. The CO2 will be reabsorbed. If it wasn't quite finished fermenting, beware, you brought home a case of bottle bombs. That's more what it sounds like.

If it was already (and properly) carbonated, put it in the fridge for a few days. The CO2 will be reabsorbed. If it wasn't quite finished fermenting, beware, you brought home a case of bottle bombs. That's more what it sounds like.
It had reached the intended final gravity as well as had stopped bubbling for days. It had only been in the bottle for 24 hours, so it had not completely carbonated slowly over the normal 7-10 days.

It had reached the intended final gravity as well as had stopped bubbling for days. It had only been in the bottle for 24 hours, so it had not completely carbonated slowly over the normal 7-10 days.
Ah, they do need more time to carbonate.
I doubt the 80 degrees killed your beer, or yeast, it probably got very active actually.

Your carbonation is not in solution yet. Put those bottles in a room temperature area for at least 2 weeks. Then chill for a minimum of over night. There will still be carbonation in the headspace that is not properly in solution if you don't cool long enough.

Thank you for your responses. I’m hopeful that a couple weeks at summer cellar temps (about 69 F) will allow for proper carbonation.

Back