Over aggressive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatman17

Reaction score
I have just brewed a IPA and I wasn't getting any action in my carboy so I repitched with dry yeast now its going crazy bubbled out the air lock so I pulled the airlock. Not a good idea took a beer shower put in a blow off tube . Its been three days now of crazy action going on . :ban:

Are you using any method for controlling the temperature of the wort? Active yeast produces heat. The warmer the wort the more active yeast is and producing more heat as activity increases.
You're lucky you pulled the air lock before the pressure blew it out.

Give your first pitch time to work. Lag time can be 2 to 2.5 days. Pitch the right amount of yeast to reduce lag time and prevent off flavors from stressed yeast.

Have a blow off tube assembly ready to use or just start with one. Make sure the collection jar is well below the fermentor to prevent a back siphon.

Control the fermentation temperature. Temperature control can be as simple as a swamp cooler and fan combination.

No temp control in basement between 60-65 degrees so i think that should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fermentations create heat so your ambient 65 degrees could allow the wort to get as high as 75 degrees. That is a bit on the warm side and will make a fermentation more active.

Over aggressive is not a concern other than a clean up hazard.

Start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube set up!!!!!

Back