Over active yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBX

Reaction score
I am not an old timer here, I have my 4th batch in the 2nd'ary now. My first 3 batches were in the primary for 4-6 days when I racked to a 2nd'ary where there was very little activity for the next 2-3 days after which the beer just started clearing up. This batch of Irish Red seems like it will never die - it was in the primary for 4 days when I racked to the 2nd'ary. The krausen had obviously been there and fallen back into the beer. After being in the 2nd'ary now for 6 days there was a small 2nd krausen formed and it has now fallen in and I can still see lots of movement in the beer as the yeast must still be partying in there. I guess there is a lot of difference in the yeasts and the times it takes to complete the conversion to alcohol. Does this sound right that it is still pretty active after 10 days? Anything to wonder or worry about? :confused:

no! it sounds like all is well.

i have noticed that different strains of yeast ferment differently... some more active visually than others.

if you maintained sanatation whilst racking you should be good to go :)

homebrewer_99 said:
What is the temp of the secondary?

If it is warmer than the primary then the brew was probably not ready for racking yet and came back to life.

I have a similar situation right now with one of my brews.

Maybe, but the temps have stayed in the 68°-74° range. It is 72° now, something woke it up. The specific gravity was 1.022 when I racked it and the SG was 1.054 if that tells you much of anything. I was going to keep it in the 2nd'ary for 10 days but since it's been in there for 6 days already I think it will be longer.

homebrewer_99 said:
At 1022 I'd definitely leave it in there another week or two.

It's day 10 since I put it in the fermenter. It's been in the 2nd'ary for 6 days and it looks like it has stoped working and is now going to start to clear. I guess it must have awakened the lazy yeast when I racked it to the carboy but it looks like normal now. Different yeasts do seem to act differently. I'll know more in about 3 weeks :p :p

Back