over active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lodydod

Reaction score
hello,

I have a problem with a batch i brewed two days ago. The brewing process went perfect i had no issues until i hit the fermentation stage. I used a yeast starter kit to really activate my yeast for a good fermentation. I pitched my yeast and set my air lock. By the next morning (12 hours later) the fermentation had already taken off and overflowed out of the air lock so removed the airlock and added a air tight hose which ran into a bowl of water. The fermentation still countiued for the next 24 hours the hose was still moving CO2. This morning i gas steams to has slowed down or almost stopped flowing.

The question i have is, Is my beer ruined? if it is not, how long should i wait before moving the beer to the secondary fermentation phase?

It's fine. You just had a healthy, vigorous fermentation. All is well. Leave it where it is for a couple more weeks and then bottle - you can skip the secondary.

The question i have is, Is my beer ruined? if it is not, how long should i wait before moving the beer to the secondary fermentation phase?

It depends on why your fermentation was so vigorous.

If it was because of good aeration and pitch rate, you're fine.

If it was due to pitching and fermenting too warm for the yeast strain being used, you may encounter flavor issues.

Unless you're adding fruit or aging the beer (on wood chips or otherwise), just leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks, check gravity, cold crash if you can and go straight to priming/bottling.

Latest posts

Back