Oven cook time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
My wife and I got into a debate tonight about the oven. She said that if an oven has two cookie sheets of something that it will take longer then if you just had one cookie sheet of something. My opinion is that the number of cookie sheets in the oven as no effect on cook time. Note, the oven is preheated in both circumstances. Who is correct?

When you add more stuff to the oven you generally have to increase the temperature and/or the cook time to compensate for the additional thermal mass.

EDIT:
It's not directly proportional, though. One sheet of cookies vs two sheets of cookies? Maybe you'll notice a difference, and maybe not. My guess is that you'd bump the time by a minute or two to get the same level of doneness as a single sheet.

Well, I would say, it depends on your oven and how even the heat distribution with 1 or 2 sheets is. If your oven will stay the same temp and not dip significantly because of the increased load, the cooking times should remain the same as the temperature would stay the same. If a second sheet significantly impedes airflow, you will have a lower temperature differential between your cookies and the oven air as the at temp air is somewhere else and cooking time would need to be increased

I would also think it matters the placement of the two cookie sheets, if it's side by side I think minimal affect, however with one directly under the other I thin it would be noticable because it won't have the direct heat of the lower rack. However, never admit any possibility that you are wrong. Immediately tell her that you must have misunderstood, should you find her to be correct.

My wife and I got into a debate tonight about the oven. She said that if an oven has two cookie sheets of something that it will take longer then if you just had one cookie sheet of something. My opinion is that the number of cookie sheets in the oven as no effect on cook time. Note, the oven is preheated in both circumstances. Who is correct?

What weirdboy said is correct... but for your circumstance you are correct and do not let the SWMBO read this thread :D

Are the sheets on the same rack? I think if you have one item on a higher rack and one on a lower rack it make a difference; but I also think if you could have the same amount of cookies on the same rack it would not make a real difference to cooking temp (except the temp of the pan).

In a microwave, yes. Not in a standard oven or a convection oven. It does make sense to swap shelves half way through, but even that isn't necessary.

Sorry, You are wrong.

It will definitely take longer to cook two sheets than it will one. In a home oven, that is. A big commercial oven with two home cookie sheets and you won't see a difference.

B

you can cook 3 sheets at once in a good convection oven. Best to use metal pans so the heat will conduct in from bottom rapidly. (those air-bake insulated metal sheets defeat the convection goodness also.)

Well, golly! Just finished cooking two Tombstone pizzas in my oven. Gave them 20 minutes (instructions said 19-21) and they look exactly the same.

I guess I'm wrong, right?

Back