outside water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just used my new imersion chiller for the first time and to make a long story short I needed to supply water to the chiller from my outside spigot ( this is now corrected ). My concern is while cooling the wort ( which worked great 212-80 in 10 minutes ) I noticed a very small stream of water leaking through the hose clamps and into the wort when I say small it couldn;t have been much more th:confused:an 2-3 ounces total. I am worried because the water supply came from a outside source my garden hose to the chiller. My water supply is fine and drinkable without any treatment but the hose is probably less than sanitary and who knows what is in the pipe leading to the outside faucet. My question is does anyone here think I should dump the batch over 2-3 ounces of questionable water or should I just ride it out and try the finished product ? I don;t feel like dying over 5 gallons of beer. Thanks.

nothing that can harm you in any serious way can live in alcohol. pitch the yeast and and ride it out, worst that could happen is it tastes funky

That's kinda what I thought I have always been taught that nothing too bad can live in beer. And just to be 100% clear this water was used to go through my chiller not for the wort itself. I was more so concerned about lead.

I wouldn't worry about this until you have enough evidence to start worrying (such as weird flavors down the line). Definitely do not toss the batch! And I wouldn't worry about the lead part...I drank water out of my garden hose growing up a lot...and I turned out fine (I think! :D).

Back