Outside of BJCP guildlines but not a "specialty beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I brewed an american IPA but I am slightly outside of the BJCP guildlines for an american IPA. This is the final product as per BeerTools

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.019
IBU: 74.1
SRM: 11.6

6lbs Amber DME
.75 German Wheat
.5 Dextrin Malt
.5 Corn Sugar
3oz Brambling Cross (60m)
1oz Brambling Cross (15)
1oz First Gold (1min)
Wyeast 1098

I know hop kinds dont matter but it might still be a bit to citrusy for an english as well..I am very happy with this beer but still want the feedback if I can get it.
So my FG is slightly heavier than it should be and my IBU's are 4 points too high as well.
I was thinking about entering this beer in NHC 08 for the feedback but will it even get tryed/tested if its outside the lines for its category?

Edit: This was my first PM so I didnt want to effect my efficiency to much if I didnt mash right so hence the very very little grain

The IBUs are fine; for an American IPA, I'm pretty sure there isn't an upper limit ;)

I'd enter it as an IPA. You might get dinged for the final gravity, but that's OK. It's not like they're going to know the FG, they may be able to pick up that it's too thick, but it's not going to be disqualified.

Next time, drop the carapils; you added corn sugar presumably to dry the beer out (a very good idea for an IPA), then added carapils (whose impact is to add unfermentable dextrines back in!).

I added the corn sugar to dry it out on a whim. have never tried it. It gave an upper limit on IBU of 70. even with the dextrin in there I still feel its a bit watery tasting..hopfully that will diminish with a bit more aging..its only been in bottle for 2 weeks...thanks

There is no disqualification for being out of style, but you might get some comments to that effect, and it could affect your score. If you are just looking for feedback, it won't hurt to enter.

TL

If you think it's too big for IPA, that's what Imperial IPA is for. With your numbers, I think IPA will be fine.

Back