Outside brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a bigger kettle...10 gallons that would be too big to use in the kitchen. With brewing outdoors, do you tend to have problems with insects, bugs, debris in your wort? Any suggestions to prevent since it seems to be frowned upon to cover the wort while boiling.

I am thinking about purchasing a bigger kettle...10 gallons that would be too big to use in the kitchen. With brewing outdoors, do you tend to have problems with insects, bugs, debris in your wort? Any suggestions to prevent since it seems to be frowned upon to cover the wort while boiling.

Never had a problem. If it is boiling, those bugs will be as sanitary as the rest of your wort. Some people cover while cooling, but I don't bother and have always been fine.

Covering while boiling will allow the DMS to build up. And convection currents will keep most smaller bugs/particles out of the beer. Bigger stuff... just scoop it out!

My second batch was brewed late night with couple lights close by. The bugs were attracted to the light but never got close to the pot.

Cover with a wet towel during cooling.

At a boil the wort is as safe as it is in your kitchen. I cover with a towel while the chill3r is a wroking just to keep the nasties out.

I was thinking the same thing, glad this thread started. I have made 6 batches to date, all outside. I have not seen a temperature above freezing so I haven't really suffered bugs yet. I have a feeling, I'll be brewing up a Mosquito Stout this summer or a lightning bug pale.

I will be trying the wet towel thing to keep it clean though, that's one more I owe the posters.

Always brewed outside and never worried about bug, just chalk them up to extra protein.

I brew outside. The bugs hate the steam and the heat, so they won't get near the boil. I wouldn't do it under a tree though, as leaves could fall in.... Just cover the wort while it's cooling.

I've done it outside in the winter and had some snow get in it... Turned out fine (maybe even better than usual, so maybe there's something good in the snow!).

As everyone has already posted, cooling is the thoughest thing, but one little wee bit of something probably isn't going to hurt anything. Just maybe don't pick a day when the leaves are falling off the trees in droves, and maybe avoid really windy days if there's a lot of crud blowing about.

Good luck!
Jay

I brew outside. Last fall when leaves were falling I was a little worried but nothing came of it. Not sure I'm going to like pollen now that it's about Sping but as far as bugs, I figure a little protein never hurt anyone.

I've thought about getting a wire mesh to keep big stuff out, haven't done it yet. :tank:

Anyone ever try to brew in the rain? Isn't there wild yeast and bacteria in rainwater? I suppose during the boil anything microscopic that fell in would meet the same fate as a bug, but what about during cooling, your other brewing equipment, etc.? Any thoughts/experiences? I'm debating whether to give it a try this weekend for my first batch ever, but the weather forecast isn't looking good right now...

Everything will die in that heat. Of course you will still have the chunky bits if a bug got in there, but they will fall out during the fermentation.

Just try it out... grab a few squimetos and throw em in and maybe it will be delish. Picture a big ol bad @ss squimeto on the label flying and pointing his big stinger nose down at you similar to the charlotte hornet. Wow I think im high or something right now... my imagination is ridiculous, being laid off blows.

Back