Outgassing or Still Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bghtfc

Reaction score
I'm hoping some more experienced brewers can help me out here with a fermentation issue. I've got an American Wheat that has been fermenting for 11 days. OG of 1.042 with 1 pack of US-05 at 72 deg F. I've taken 3 gravity readings for 3 consecutive days to confirm fermentation was complete, and I've gotten a reading of 1.004 all three times.

Where I'm confused is that it looks almost like it's still fermenting. The krausen has long fallen, but bubbles of CO2 are still slowly rising with BB sized clumps of yeast attached (1 every 5 second or so). This must be outgassing from the yeast cake or something right? I have to think that at 3 days of 1.004 it's done with fermentation, but I'm bottle conditioning and I don't want to take any chances with bottle bombs

It should be done. Plus, if it's really at 1.004....how much further could it go. Fermentation causes bottle bombs and I can't see anymore fermentation happening if it's already that low.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I'm pretty inexperienced as I haven't noticed bubbling like that in my previous 3 brews. Makes me feel better to at least hear that others agree with what I'm thinking.

My fear is that you've got a wild bug in there slowly eating the sugars left behind. You're already over 90% attenuation. A bit high for US-05 working on its own.

I've tasted it and it's really good...not sour at all or anything to indicate an infection. It actually tastes what I would expect unusually sweet for 1.004. It looks good (other than the intermittent, large bubbles) and smells good as well. Is there anything other indication that I might have a bug?

Back