Outdoor Brewing Shelter/Propane Safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallardBrew

Reaction score
I recently moved into a house with a tiny electric stove that can't hope to boil 5+ gallons of wort, so I bought a Darkstar with the intent of brewing outside. However, I live in Seattle, so I only get about 8-10 weeks of non-rainy weather a year, and I'm struggling to find safe, effective ways to boil in the rain.

I don't have a garage or carport, but I do have a small deck that's covered and enclosed on a few sides. Is it safe to have a propane burner going that close to the outside of a house? What about CO issues? I've done plenty of camping and I know how dangerous using gas stoves in enclosed spaces can be, so I do worry about carbon monoxide.

Has anyone had luck brewing under a freestanding tarp awning? Are those too enclosed to be used safely with CO sources?

I'm also curious if anyone's tried just brewing without shelter in the rain, and allowing rainwater to get into the boil. I figure as long as the water's boiling and strained on its way into the fermenter, it couldn't do that much harm

Thanks in advance for any tips you have!

Since you are outside and have air movement so the CO gets moved, you should be okay. I brew in a large shop with a fan moving the air as well as a door open. I also have a CO senser in there.

Latest posts

Back