Outdoor brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I have a painted steel 3 vessel single tier brewstand with a pump. I currently keep it in my garage and thats where I brew. I also live in Florida and it gets extremely hot in my garage so brewing in there is fairly miserable. I want set up my rig in my backyard where i have a pool, tiki hut, tiki bar and paver patio under a huge oak tree. Its obviously much nicer back there and its shaded and I get a nice breeze. I would much rather be hanging out at my tiki bar for 4 hours than sitting in a lawn chair sweating in the garage. I have water and electric already set up. The problem will be that my brew rig will be out in the elements but i do keep it covered with a grill cover.
Does anyone else keep their rig outdoors? I have a pop up canopy that I can use if it looks like rain. Im worried about rust and lizards, they get in everything.

Does anyone else keep their rig outdoors? I have a pop up canopy that I can use if it looks like rain. Im worried about rust and lizards, they get in everything.

Rust and lizards will still happen in the garage.

Leaves, wind blown dust, and rain will happen outdoors. I think you'd do better to keep it un-covered but in the garage when not in use.

Rust and lizards will still happen in the garage.

Leaves, wind blown dust, and rain will happen outdoors. I think you'd do better to keep it un-covered but in the garage when not in use.
This was what I was going to suggest. Could you put some heavier duty wheels on it so you could roll it through the yard?

I have a painted steel 3 vessel single tier brewstand with a pump. I currently keep it in my garage and thats where I brew. I also live in Florida and it gets extremely hot in my garage so brewing in there is fairly miserable. I want set up my rig in my backyard where i have a pool, tiki hut, tiki bar and paver patio under a huge oak tree. Its obviously much nicer back there and its shaded and I get a nice breeze. I would much rather be hanging out at my tiki bar for 4 hours than sitting in a lawn chair sweating in the garage. I have water and electric already set up. The problem will be that my brew rig will be out in the elements but i do keep it covered with a grill cover.

I have almost that exact situation. I brew next to my pool where I have 240V. I use a submersible pump in the poll for chilling water. It's a great setup.

I have a side yard that is really just for the dog. In the pic below, it's where that red fence is. I set up a couple of large racks over there against the house and store my 3 keggles and also cornie kegs. I've been storing that stuff there, in the sun and the rain, for years. The only issue is that the anole lizards like to hide in the ball valves, so I have to blow them out with the hose before a session. I carry the keggles from the side yard to the patio by hand

I build my pumps, chiller and control panel into plastic toolboxes -- they are portable with handles. They get stored in a large rubbermaid locker by the pool. It's the kind of thing you'd expect to see full of pool noodles and stuff, but I keep the brew gear in there.

I brew under a covered patio, so I can brew when it's raining. I also have a tv on the wall out there, so that's nice.

full

I have a similar problem. I'm brewing in my crappy garage when out back I have a pool, lazy river, bungalows, amphitheater with live music, and a harem with 20 fine women. Ha, just kidding I brew in my kitchen. I'd figure out a way to move my rig from the garage post post haste if I were you. Attaching wheels and storing in the garage was a good idea.

I already have wheels on it however getting it from the garage all the way back to where I want it is not going to be easy. That's just not an option. I don't really have a rust issue if I have something kept in a shed or in the garage, but the second it's out in the weather it rusts almost instantly. I need to figure something out, I may just figure out a way to cover everything really well to keep out the lizards and use a good grill cover to keep the rain off.

Man, now that sounds like a problem I'd like to have! It's been below freezing here for a minute!
The casters on the rig is a good idea. I use one of those plastic pool storage chests to store a lot of my tools and brewing gear. It works really well and never lets in any water. It's gets just as muggy here in the summer as it does in Fl but rust has never been an issue. We get lots of bugs and other creepy crawlies here too but they never seem to want to hangout in the storage chest. I'd think a grill cover would work well to shield it from the elements. You could paint it with some anti rust paint too for some added protection.

Man, now that sounds like a problem I'd like to have! It's been below freezing here for a minute!
The casters on the rig is a good idea. I use one of those plastic pool storage chests to store a lot of my tools and brewing gear. It works really well and never lets in any water. It's gets just as muggy here in the summer as it does in Fl but rust has never been an issue. We get lots of bugs and other creepy crawlies here too but they never seem to want to hangout in the storage chest. I'd think a grill cover would work well to shield it from the elements. You could paint it with some anti rust paint too for some added protection.

I have done my share of brewing in a freezing cold garage in ny. I couldnt wait to get out of there and move to a hot climate. I always wanted a tiki bar and finally made it happen this year but I made the mistake of listening to my wife and I didnt make it big enough to brew in. I do have a screened in patio close to the pool that I may store the rig in when not in use. I just cant figure out how im going to sell that to my wife. 15175999295441217853309.jpg

This is the space, its a bit of a mess and still not finished but it gives you an idea.

I have done my share of brewing in a freezing cold garage in ny. I couldnt wait to get out of there and move to a hot climate. I always wanted a tiki bar and finally made it happen this year but I made the mistake of listening to my wife and I didnt make it big enough to brew in. I do have a screened in patio close to the pool that I may store the rig in when not in use. I just cant figure out how im going to sell that to my wife. View attachment 556245

This is the space, its a bit of a mess and still not finished but it gives you an idea.

That's awesome! Seriously jealous.

That's awesome! Seriously jealous.

Thank you, ive been planning this for 10 years. I finally moved to florida about 5 years ago and finally got around to adding the pavers and tiki hut/bar this year. There was an 1,100 sqft deck built around that oak tree that I disassembled by hand so I could salvage the lumber. We also did the electric and water lines ourselves. I hired out the tiki hut and pavers and then used the reclaimed deck wood to build the bar and a 3 tap keezer. It has a tv and led lights and will have a sink soon. Its been a ton of fun and Im dying to get my brewery set up out there next to it so I can escape the garage and brew out there where it would be more fun.

What sort of brewery do you have? ....maybe if it was purdy like Kal's at The Electric Brewery, you might be able to get SWMBO to let you park it under the lanai. :)

Honestly, I'd rather have my electric rig stored in the garage and then move it to the patio (casters and a walkway?) when I wanted to brew.

I have done my share of brewing in a freezing cold garage in ny. I couldnt wait to get out of there and move to a hot climate. I always wanted a tiki bar and finally made it happen this year but I made the mistake of listening to my wife and I didnt make it big enough to brew in. I do have a screened in patio close to the pool that I may store the rig in when not in use. I just cant figure out how im going to sell that to my wife. View attachment 556245

Woowee! Now that's a backyard i can get down with. You should build an extension on the back of the bar. It wouldn't have to very big and it would beat leaving the brew gear on the patio.

We've been going down the the fl west coast for 30+ years and have been recently playing with idea of moving down there for good. These below freezing temps are for suckers!

I brew and ferment on the back patio as well. Burner hooks up to the left of the grill the quick disconnect is in the cabinet. When we were having it built I had it plumbed in for ng and 220 :)

40048575971_7476905c6e_b.jpg

img

Woowee! Now that's a backyard i can get down with. You should build an extension on the back of the bar. It wouldn't have to very big and it would beat leaving the brew gear on the patio.

We've been going down the the fl west coast for 30+ years and have been recently playing with idea of moving down there for good. These below freezing temps are for suckers!

No room behind the bar. There is a keezer there and eventually some shelves and a sink. 0902171520.jpg

You people all suck. ;-)

View attachment 556287

Was going to say the same, in not so many words. To escape the elements in NJ, I had to beg my wife to allow me to build a basement brewery which is the equivalent to the Florida garage. I don’t know why a grill cover wouldn’t work assuming you are using burners instead of electric. Who cares if there is a little rust. Paint it every few years.

I may have found a solution, if I shorten my brewstand by 1 foot it will fit under the tiki hut on either side of the keezer. I'm not sure I'm crazy about having it behind the bar since I wanted shelving there, but, it should fit. It involves some cutting and welding but it gets me out of the garage.

Back