Out with the new,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
In with the old.

Someone brought a bag of Columbus rhizomes to the OBC meeting last night and that's my favorite IPA bittering hop. So, I got motivated. Brought two large rhizomes home, dug out the Sunbeam and planted the Columbus. The main root for the Sunbeam went down at least 18", I cut it at that point.

The Sunbeam is now under the old apple tree. Yellow apples, yellow hop plant. Should work.

I was beginning to think the Columbus wasn't viable, but here it is:

columbus.jpg

My understanding is that Columbus is a proprietary brand, so is this a snuck-out/appropriated Columbus or is that what Zeus is?

Because I want Columbus, too. :D

I have often heard them referred to as CTZ (columbus tomahawk zeus) and I don't think that they are proprietary

Columbus doesn't have a USDA number and the latest listing I have says it is "privately grown". But, the guy with the rhizomes said it was Columbus. It's been around 10 years, so maybe it is.

I think that that USDA list is at least 8 or nine years out of date, simcoe doesn't even make the list
not sure though

Edit, it was published july 5 2000

Latest posts

Back