out of us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biestie

Reaction score
My wife's making a few loafs of bread in the machine for a Christmas Eve meal, and used my last two packets of US-05 because she forgot to buy bread yeast at the store. Grrrrrrrr

Now that's messed up. She could have at least left you some sprinkles to make a starter with. On the other hand, let us now how the bread turns out. Sounds tasty.

Holy crap go to Walmart and buy some bakers yeast! A man has to draw the line somewhere!!! :D LOL That's like driving a Ferrari to the end of the drive way to get the mail. It will get the job done and look cool. But it performs better on the open road (making beer :p)

Im shocked by this.. Did it rise? Nightmares, soon she will use up all your grain for some barley cookies to give to your inlaws...

this is going to turn into a "stuck bread rising" thread and we'll have to tell him to increase the heat and give it a gentle shake...

Using US-05 for bread in a bread machine is like using rocket fuel in a Focus.

I'm interested in how this turns out. I once forgot a yeast packet and almost used bakers yeast, but read that I might get funny flavors and crazy fermentation. Apparently bakers yeast is much quicker (from what I've read) so maybe ale yeast wouldn't work as well in bread. At least that's what I would've told her...

Back