Our pound puppy rescue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
A while back we had to put one of our dogs down and our one black lab that was left was obviously lonely. My wife and daughter went to a local animal shelter/pound to see if any dog caught their eye. One did... He was a seven month old or so pure yellow lab. We were amazed that he was still available. Then we found out that he had been hit by a car and his rear leg had broke and had healed badly. He couldn't even squat properly to poop. We went in to "interview" for him and found out that he had been there for more than two months and had 5 families interview for him. Once they found out that he had issues, they passed. That sealed it for us. He was already such a great dog and we figured the worst case scenario was amputation. We took him home and named him Cody.

My wife took Cody to the vet for a check-up and to discuss the options concerning his leg. As luck would have it, she took him to the one guy in the area that got real excited about working on that leg. He wanted to perform a newer surgery and use Cody as a case study to present at a a conference in Las Vegas. He made us an offer we couldn't refuse... If we pay cost for the parts and meds, everything else will be free. So we ended up paying about $700 instead of THOUSANDS!

Dr. Knighton cut the bone, rotated it and secured it with plates and screws. We then took Cody back in three times a week for hydrotherapy (which was also free) for about two months then twice a week for about another month or so.

It's been about a year now and he has to be one of the best dogs I've ever had.

Staples and "cone of shame".

102_7392.JPG

Hydrotherapy treadmill.

102_7513.JPG

This summer he was finally able to run around like a real dog again!

102B7790.jpg

Before surgery hanging out with my black lab, Sara.

102_7352.JPG

Congratulations on a great find and family addition. My last pound adoption netted one of the most amazing friends that I've ever had as well.

Good stuff! Thats cute that they cuddle. My two brittanys will not cuddle with each other at all! They play and are besties but they don't puppy-pile by themselves, only if we are with them.

That is awesome that the vet did what he did! Good for him and good for you guys for picking him up!

nice to hear there are others out there with a soft spot for the hard luck cases, I always wanted to get the puppy that seemed different - I got some great dogs that way.

When I was married we rescued a 1/2 breed dachshund from a kill shelter, she was in doggy death row, she was the best dog. RIP Daisy.

I was crying before I even saw the pictures. A beautiful dog for sure. Thank you for your kindness and making a difference for a dog. We are in our fourth month of a rescue with a dog that spent 6 years chained to a tree. We lost our 3 long time dogs two chows and a collie shepard, the kids growing up dogs, in the past year to stroke and cancers. After a few months not having dogs for the first time in 30 years, we found a new dog to love.

About two years ago I lost one of my chows to cancer. Went to a chow rescue to donate some of the extra bedding, food, toys etc I had. Ended up leaving the stuff and coming home with a dog. She had been left in the yard by previous owners. Just left, ok I'll keep it pg, what the hell is wrong with people. Great dog, makes me smile every day.

I was crying before I even saw the pictures. A beautiful dog for sure. Thank you for your kindness and making a difference for a dog. We are in our fourth month of a rescue with a dog that spent 6 years chained to a tree. We lost our 3 long time dogs two chows and a collie shepard, the kids growing up dogs, in the past year to stroke and cancers. After a few months not having dogs for the first time in 30 years, we found a new dog to love.

Good on ya for taking in an older abused dog. Those older pups can have some pretty deeply ingrained damage. I think the longest we've gone without a dog was a couple months. We always tell each other, "That's it. No more animals..." Then, not too much later, we're crate training another pup. At least we aren't as bad as my in-laws... They run a horse rescue on their 40 acres up in northern Idaho. They currently have 20+ horses. This is their idea of retirement. I don't think they've worked this hard in all their lives!

Oh! I almost forgot! Our vet's office is supposed to be filming a commercial soon and they asked if they can use Cody and have us tell his story. My pup will be a local star! :cool:

Good on ya for the rescue. Beautiful, sweet looking dog.

If someone threw an animal abuser handcuffed into a locked room and gave me a written pardon and a lead pipe...

My wife and I were looking to rescue an English Bulldog a few months back. There's really only one Bulldog rescue place around here and they wouldn't adopt to us because we have an in-ground jacuzzi that's not fenced in, but has a cover. When I emailed someone to get more information about it they instructed me to fill out an application. I went to their website and it was $20 to fill out an application. I tried calling a few people (I wasn't going to pay $20 if they wouldn't adopt to us anyway) and I got no response other than "fill out the application". I really hate rescue places that make you jump through hoops in order to adopt.

The wife and I ended up buying an English Bulldog off of a woman who's husband had just lost his job. They were moving to a less expensive house that didn't allow pets. I don't get why you wouldn't just look for another house, but whatever. We got a great dog out of it.

I'm glad you guys are giving the dog a good home. Dogs really are awesome, aren't they?

Just thought I would post a few pics (I know I know)

This first picture has my male chow Barkley and my collie sheppard mix Nellie. This was the last weekend they were together. A week later Nellie passed of bladder cancer, Barkley followed a week later from liver cancer. While so crushingly sad to deal with, there is a great story of this last weekend. We visited a garden shop that had four big horned sheep in a pen. When I took Barkley over, they could care less, paid him no mind and he none towards them. When Nellie came over, the Sheep got up and qued up single file to the fence gate where one by one they came up to Nellie and let her clean their faces, then she would nudge one with her nose and the next sheep came over and repeated the process with nellie. This went on for 20 minutes. The amazing thing was Nellie has never seen a sheep. I brought her home at 4 or 5 weeks old. It was so cool..

Not shown because I am not on my main computer is Riley, Barkley's sister who passed first from a stroke. So very hard to deal with the loss. Riley was just a sweetheart and my daughter's dog. very hard.

This last picture is Wesley our new dog. A golden/husky maybe chow mix. He had been fenced to a tree for 6 years on an eastern Washington reservation. Two weeks after getting him, he's in his life jacket boat camping with us. We've had him 4 months now and he is filling a void in our hearts.

tulipa 013.jpg

047.jpg

This thread has made my day. As someone who stands and stares every day into the great maw of human misery, this kind of story keeps me going.

good on ya!

Man. Awesome thread. Just what I needed. :)

Thank you for doing what you did. I love the pic of them snuggling. Dogs are the best. Do you happen to know what conference he is presenting it at? My wife is a veterinarian and she is extremely interested in orthopedics. Forwarding her this thread.

Holy crap! Cracked that dog is beautiful! (Not that yours aren't cute lgilmore but labs just make me smile.)

Man. Awesome thread. Just what I needed. :)

Thank you for doing what you did. I love the pic of them snuggling. Dogs are the best. Do you happen to know what conference he is presenting it at? My wife is a veterinarian and she is extremely interested in orthopedics. Forwarding her this thread.

I'm not certain which conference he will be presenting at but here's the basics of what he did:

"The tibial plateau leveling osteotomy - TPLO involves making a curved cut in the top of the tibia bone (osteotomy) to include the tibial plateau. The tibial plateau is then rotated along the curved osteotomy in order to level the slope. A plate and screws are used to hold the tibial plateau in place so that the bone can heal in its new position & the tibial wedge osteotomy involves cutting the tibia and removing a wedge of bone, hence changing the angle of the weight bearing surface of the knee to prevent the abnormal sliding motion of the joint which occurs after the ligament has been damaged."

He consulted with someone from the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine who is supposed to be some sort of authority on the procedure.

Great story. Katie Belle is 12 and that's fairly old even for a greyhound. I have a standing offer from a professor at OSU Vet. to bring Katie in if she develops anything major, like bone cancer, that greyhounds are subject to. There's a new viral treatment for cancer that has the Vet community very excited.

Just thought I would post a few pics (I know I know)

When Nellie came over, the Sheep got up and qued up single file to the fence gate where one by one they came up to Nellie and let her clean their faces, then she would nudge one with her nose and the next sheep came over and repeated the process with nellie. This went on for 20 minutes. The amazing thing was Nellie has never seen a sheep. I brought her home at 4 or 5 weeks old. It was so cool..

This last picture is Wesley our new dog. A golden/husky maybe chow mix. He had been fenced to a tree for 6 years on an eastern Washington reservation. Two weeks after getting him, he's in his life jacket boat camping with us. We've had him 4 months now and he is filling a void in our hearts.

It's pretty awesome to see how deep those instincts run. I'm guessing Wesley is just as happy to be with you as you are to have him!

Here's a couple more shots of our pups:

The chicken coop in the background has since been moved behind the garden fence. Labs and chickens don't always mix too well... :D

cody_and_sara_2.jpg

cody_and_sara_3.jpg

What happy dogs! Labs always seem to be some of the happiest breeds out there.

This past summer between our last two dogs passing and adopting Wesley, we took a vacation to find heat (PNW need I say more?) and open spaces. The first part of our journey took us to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (Kanab, UT) for a couple days. This is the place that took 23 of M. Vicks dogs. It is a happy/sad place. The tour takes 90 minutes as the Sanctuary is huge. Over 500 employees.

But one of the neatest sadest places was their cemetery. People have been sending wind chimes with their pets names on them and the place is covered with these giant wind chime set ups that are beautiful.

What inspired my wife and I after seeing this was to do something to remember our 6 dogs we have had over the last 30 years together. So we stole their idea a bit. We call it Dog Gong.. just thought I would share with you who have pets that have passed and you wanted to do something to remember them. We took a garden wind chime to an awards shop and had it engraved. Just thought I would share if anybody out there has thought about doing something to remember your best friends by.

gong 2011 003.jpg

gong 2011 002.jpg

Back