Our "local" news

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We live in area that is pretty rural, and with no towns of any size. (There are under 10,000 people in our whole COUNTY). Anyway, our local news is about 90 miles away, and they try to cover most of the whole UP (a very big area). They normally have young people, just out of college, who stay for a short time and then go on to bigger and better things.

I almost never watch TV, but Bob turned on the news.

They have a new young newsreader who looks like a 14 year old Dana Carvey. I couldn't help it- he was reading what passes for a serious story in our area about water levels- but I started laughing. I can't imagine EVER being able to take him seriously. Here's a photo from their website: http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/about/bio.aspx?id=909#.UHXyV66LOGg That photo is not really a good likeness, but maybe you can see a hint of what I saw.

And then, my mind ran wild. Picture Dana Carvey, as the church lady, doing our news. The most interesting thing that might happen in a week is that someone driving a truck hits a moose, or the Lake Superior beaches might close. I can just see the Church Lady chastising a moose for walking on the road in front of a truck.

We live in area that is pretty rural, and with no towns of any size. (There are under 10,000 people in our whole COUNTY). Anyway, our local news is about 90 miles away, and they try to cover most of the whole UP (a very big area). They normally have young people, just out of college, who stay for a short time and then go on to bigger and better things.

I almost never watch TV, but Bob turned on the news.

They have a new young newsreader who looks like a 14 year old Dana Carvey. I couldn't help it- he was reading what passes for a serious story in our area about water levels- but I started laughing. I can't imagine EVER being able to take him seriously. Here's a photo from their website: http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/about/bio.aspx?id=909#.UHXyV66LOGg That photo is not really a good likeness, but maybe you can see a hint of what I saw.

And then, my mind ran wild. Picture Dana Carvey, as the church lady, doing our news. The most interesting thing that might happen in a week is that someone driving a truck hits a moose, or the Lake Superior beaches might close. I can just see the Church Lady chastising a moose for walking on the road in front of a truck.

Yup, I would have been thinking the same thing. That picture looks like it could be his son.

The suspect remains at large. Authorities believe if couldve been .... SATAN?!?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! that's actually what I saw in my mind's eye.

It's especially funny to me because this kid is probably 22, but looks 14. And I honestly had to leave the room during the news during the "electroshoking of fish" story. It was like my mind went all Dana Carvey on the story.

As in: HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. The fish are all floating, and the DNR says it is not dangerious. But could it be.............SATAN?!?!

I seriously was keeled over laughing.

I am a terrible person.

I'd love to see that kid doing my local news.

"a 33 year old Bronx man has been accused of...." *stops, rereads, eyes get huge, eyes begin to tear up* "my GOD what is wrong with you people?!"

Get that guy a moustache.

image-1395772949.jpg

To me he kind of looks like Seth Meyers in that pic. Still an SNL cast member though.

That kid should do a story on "Massive Headwound Harry"

I know I am only 30, but it would be hard for me to trust/respect someone telling me the news who looks half my age--especially if the topic was very serious. We have had the same local news anchors for as long as I can remember. When I got back home from college, all I noticed is their hair went gray, but everything else was the same. My favorite thing they always do is in the winter time when there is a major snow or ice storm, they dress up in sweaters instead of suits and change the news theme song to something different, so you knew something bad was going on--for some reason I still get excited when I hear that theme like somehow my work is going to close down for the day.

Back