Our Home Pub Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmyfam

Reaction score
Some photos of construction. Will update as things progress further.

DSC05993.jpg

DSC05994.jpg

DSC05995.jpg

DSC05999.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

Looks great so far but the outlet close to the sink should be GFCI, it is not to code but since it is not going to be inspected it's probably nothing to worry about.

Looks great so far but the outlet close to the sink should be GFCI, it is not to code but since it is not going to be inspected it's probably nothing to worry about.

Thank You. Outlet will be a GFI before the bar is put into "full service" just not bought it yet. Input much appreciated.

Great looking bar! Subscribed to follow you along. I will be doing this myself in the next few months! Can't wait to see more!

Great looking bar! Subscribed to follow you along. I will be doing this myself in the next few months! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the kind words. If I can help in any way when you get to doing yours just let me know. May be able to save you some time and money from my "lessons learned" :mug:

Well thank you very much! I love the oak, I'm still trying to decide what I'm doing for wood species. I have a sawyer not 7 miles from me, so I can get Oak at like $2 per board foot. But no sheet goods. I'm going to be building three, one downstairs, and a full bar outside on the patio. Then a 5'X10' bar/eating island that I can roll up to the outdoor kitchen area. Should be quite the project!

Waiting for some progress on yours!

Looks good. Really like what you have done. You installing a keezer under the bar for the taps ?

Looks good. Really like what you have done. You installing a keezer under the bar for the taps ?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yes, plan to have taps fed from under the bar. Fitting something under there will be a challenge though. May end up being a "custom" insulated area with a lot of gathered together refrigeration components assembled on one side . That is unless any of you have any suggestions. Right now it's laid out for a sideways mini bar fridge with the door off in an insulated enclosure. Not sure if that will give enough cooling power though. I will likely lean on the bar when finished looking, thinking and drinking for other ideas.

Well, this weekends update !!!! Grouting completed, TV is installed (this one on a temporary basis. Bigger one will be in place soon) Main bar stained, varnished, sanded, varnished etc and slid into place this evening. Waiting on the bar top and then it's complete. Fill up the room then with all the "stuff"

DSC06187.jpg

DSC06190.jpg

DSC06199.jpg

DSC06218.jpg

DSC06224.jpg

I don't think it's finished but so far it looks great!!

What is the bar top going to be made of?

Solid piece of oak. Difficult finding a piece that's 10ft long but it is ordered and coming out of the kiln in a few days time. Armrail will prove to be tricky I think.

Ken, to bad you arn't closer to me, I'd be glad to let you into my cabinet shop! And not 10 miles down the road is a sawyer that has all the Oak you can shake a stick at for $2/bf.

Something I see as a possible add would be one of two things, at the very least, if it were my bar I would add a baseboard (probably like six inches or so) made from the same wood/stain combo of your front and back bar. It is just a finishing touch that can really pull your front and back bar together into one product. The other option I would suggest is to do a wainscoting of a thin sheet (.25 maybe?) of your material stained and tacked on the wall between the to bars. It could then later be removed easily as I saw you didn't build your bars in permanently. Just my thoughts, any way you look at it it's very beautiful!

DSC06238.jpg

Thanks so much for the input. I wish I was closer as well to have a good line on oak !!!!
The original plan was baseboard in between. The entire room currently has no baseboard as I have re-modelled after a full teardown. However I like the thin sheet suggestion a lot. Much appreciated. :D

You bet. just cap it with a nice decorative trim and it will look perfect. that said if you do base board around the rest of the room, I think I'd do the thin board AND still but base board along the bottom.

You bet. just cap it with a nice decorative trim and it will look perfect. that said if you do base board around the rest of the room, I think I'd do the thin board AND still but base board along the bottom.

Great advice and thank you once again. Going to go with the thin sheet and baseboard as suggested. That is as soon as I get back from vacation. leaving tomorrow evening.

I need to find some buddies around here that would like to tinker in the wood shop, or the machine shop, or the robotics lab, and of course brewing!

Back