Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
I have been thinking about brewing a porter next, but had never really had a commercial porter that I was very impressed with. So a friend recommended I go out and grab a six pack of Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter.

Wow, this beer is fantastic. It has the full smooth body that I love. Makes for a mouthfeel I can't recall coming across before. Very silky. And the flavor is like a hint of bitter, hint of caramel, hint of chocolate roast. I have to say that the most impressive thing about this beer is how the hops, caramel, and roasted grains all exist but neither take dominance over another and all three take a back seat to that silky smooth mouthfeel.

Think I might be brewing that porter afterall :)

Otter Creek has a pretty good line in general.
I've never had the porter but the Copper Ale is definitely worth while.

The Stovepipe is good and holds a place in my heart. Have you had Sam Smith's Taddy, Sierra's or Anchor's Porter? They're very good too...

Soulive said:
The Stovepipe is good and holds a place in my heart. Have you had Sam Smith's Taddy, Sierra's or Anchor's Porter? They're very good too...

Well actually Sam Smith's and Sierra's were the only two porters I have had previously. I am not really impressed by any of the Samuel Smith beers, and did not like the porter very much. The Sierra Nevada Porter I thought was good, but I never really thought it was great. This was the first time I felt like I was drinking a great porter. As you can see though, my porter knowledge and experience is limited.

jzal8 said:
Well actually Sam Smith's and Sierra's were the only two porters I have had previously. I am not really impressed by any of the Samuel Smith beers, and did not like the porter very much. The Sierra Nevada Porter I thought was good, but I never really thought it was great. This was the first time I felt like I was drinking a great porter. As you can see though, my porter knowledge and experience is limited.

Ok well just try the Anchor and maybe even Smuttynose Robust porters. Get them as singles if you can...

Soulive said:
Ok well just try the Anchor and maybe even Smuttynose Robust porters. Get them as singles if you can...

+1 on both

smuttynose makes some good beer too. I didn't realize they distributed outside of new england.

Soulive said:

I am a big fan of both breweries, so I will take you advice, prob on brewday, and grab a few singles of both. Thanks :)

Smuttnose porter is fantastic. Their Old Brown Dog is one of my favorite beers.
I do like Sam Smith's Taddy Porter, but I think their Oatmeal Stout is their best.

Ottercreek and Sierra nevada are good too. I recently found and tried Okocim and Zywiec porters, which are baltic porters and they are excellent!

Porters are one of favorite styles and yet I have not brewed one?!?!?

If you can get a hold of Old Leghumper or Edmund Fitzgerald you won't be disappointed.

The only Otter Creek brew that I've been able to get a hold of around here is their PA and it was quite good. I may have to see if I can find some more of their stuff.

Stovepipe porter is one of my favorite porters. I've been working on my own clone recipe for it, I still have a few kinks to work out but I'll post it in the recipe database when i'm happy with it

Lastnight I tried their winter ale which is a rasberry brown ale. It was great and I'm not usually a big fan of fruity beers. The rasberry was very subtle and the base brown ale was spot on.

I was in Middlebury yesterday, and stopped by on my way home. Picked up a growler of Copper Ale ... now I wish I had picked up 2 !

Missed the tour. NIce folks up there.

Back