Other Interests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
So what other hobbies do some of you cider brewers have? Or should I say what gets in the way of brewing more cider;) I guess I'll start. Well I just bought a Remington 770, 30-06 rifle yesterday so I obviously like to shoot guns, I do a lot of camping mostly at off road areas as I have some quads and a sandrail, kids are in high school volleyball and football and I have a 16 month old "bonus baby" ha ha so I'm pretty busy. Would like to enter a amateur cider some day at a brewfest, that would be cool. Your turn.

I'm a stone mason, but I've been off for three years on disability, I've just taken up home brewing, I am a stay at home dad now, and have two kids eleven and six, I play drums, write, and make cheap booze now! Lol. I'm Canadian so watching hockey and playing when I'm feeling up to it. Just bottled my first mead cran/ Pom so stoked and waiting for my raspberry cider to be done. I also grew up hunting, but since my dad passed I've given it up.

boomstick44 said:
Reloading and shooting. I am also a Texas State CHL Instructor.

So i got a newb question for you about setting up scopes. How can you have a scope adjusted say for 200 yards and 500 yards? Do you have to write down you MOA and select it for different distances?

Wheelin'.

KOH2012_141.JPG

Other than that, making beer, drinking beer, guns, kids....

Kinda out of my area of expertise (I deal with defensive handgunning) but if it were me...

I would be using a Mil Dot scope for those distances. Center for a specified middle distance and hold over or under the MOA based on the range + / - away from center.

Hope that helps... If not, I have a couple of sniper buddies I can ask.

Any quality scope should be calibrated for 1/4 inch moa adjustments per click at 100 yards. At 25 yards you multiply by 4 so for a one inch movement at 100 yards that should be 4 clicks in elevation. A one inch movement at 25 yards will be 16 clicks.

So if you are shooting at 100 yards and want to adjust for 200 yards you could use some "yankee windage" Or find a bullet drop calculator and actual shooting of your rifle to determine bullet drop at 200 yards. Then you can adjust your scope from there using the above formula.

Other intrest's, shooting and reloading are my main interests, being generally able to survive in any situation or disaster, I like to be outside and our whole family camps allot during the summer. I have not made beer yet but i have done a few ciders and even more wines but not allot yet.

The earlier question, mildot is good, or target knobs and mark your distances out, so you can spin the knobs right to spot and adjust for weather conditions. It's going to be allot of work to set it up, but once you have it figured out and you use the same load you will be darn close. Be careful with the 770, the bolts freeze up and have firing pin problems some times.

I've collected a few hobbies over the years . . .
Hammocks
Backpacking
Medieval martial arts
Kites
Slinging

P1010236.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

SCA paractice.jpg

P1010495.jpg

P1010539.jpg

Other interests other then brewing? Hmmmmmm..... I'll start in January
Jan: rabbit, coyote and raccoon hunting
Feb: more coyote hunting, and the Super Bowl of course!
Mar: if there is still enough snow, more coyote hunting!
Apr: April is when we start getting our bank poles ready for the season. What's bank pole fishing? You may ask. Look it up on YouTube
May: more bank pole fishing and starting of rod and reel
June-August : Camping, catfishing, swimming, bank pole fishing, boating
Sept: this is when I start home brewing, also the second weekend is opening of bow hunting
Oct: Rut is cranking up! Make sure your in a tree somewhere!
Nov: Gun hunting!! Time to get even with those lil bas%#%ds that stayed just out of bow range!
Dec: Gun hunting is winding down, time to think about coyotes again!

On top of all this I work full time, am married, have 4 kids and help out as much as I'm allowed with the local high school football team, of which my stepson is a starting member, and vote republican as often as there is an election. Lately living in Wisconsin, that's been a lot!

Hope this answers some questions, and let's y'all know a little more about me!

Back