Other hobbies ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatguy100

Reaction score
I tend to like to keep busy in life and after being forced into disability I've found my many assorted hobbies to be a godsend to keeping my sanity after 25 years of 50-60 hour work weeks .

Here is a little of what I'm into , other then the obvious brewing :)
What are you into ?

I live on a fixed income now but I like to eat well . So I spend a little time every day with food in general .
I raise a pig every year And butcher it myself along with curing and smoking my own bacon and ham , usually chops to :)
I also do a beef cow about every 18 months , but i don't butcher it myself .. maybe someday if I ever build a cooler .
I don't do much of a garden , just some sweet corn , a tomato plant or two , a few cabbages And potatoes is all the gardening I can tolerate .

I'm also a bit of a gun nut , my tastes run into old single shots and muzzle loaders , when the weather is nice I do a fair bit of shooting , once or twice a week is usual . And to further that spend a good bit of time re-loading and bullet casting .

I also have a fairly well equipped hobby machine shop in my garage , I have a lathe , vertical milling machine , shaper , horizontal milling machine , surface grinder , power hacksaw , tool grinder. And a stick and tig welder .
I like to make things , so I spend a lot of time in the shop during the winter , I've scratch built a couple single shot actions And I went threw a steam engine phase awhile back .
But I'm not particular, I'm just as happy making something as simple as a bolt as I am makin g something complicated .

Anyhoo , those are just a few of things I'm into ... how's about you ?

Pretty sure there are a lot of parallel/ duplicate threads on this subject.... note also the variety of sub forums on specific other interests....

Other than homebrewing, I made cheese every now and then, turn small things om wood lathe, knives in forge, hunt in winter, shoot revolvers, reload ammo.

I also tend to read alot and that often gets me into new hobbies (currently trying to malt grain).

To me--to me--a hobby is something I'm learning about. Once I have, in my mind, mastered the process and issues related to the "hobby," it ceases to be that, and becomes a pastime.

I'm a serial hobbyist. Over the years, I've learned about and to some degree mastered (in terms of some level of proficiency) the following: Rotisserie (fantasy) baseball, making golf clubs (had a small business doing that), golfing, poker, shooting sports (pistol and trap mostly), reloading ammo for pistol/rifle/shotgun, learning to cast my own bullets and powdercoat them, and currently, beer making.

I still shoot trap, still cast and reload, but the learning has largely ceased. I might experiment a little here and there, but I know how to do it. The fun was in the learning. With trap, for instance, once I ran 100 straight, I felt like I'd reached some level of proficiency. The thrill was gone. I still shoot trap, but the learning curve has flattened. Same with golfing. Once I shot a round of par golf on a regulation course playing by the rules....I felt I'd reached some reasonably high level of proficiency and the learning slowed down drastically. I still play golf, but back issues have limited the play somewhat. But the learning curve leveled off.

Now, beer. Sadly, the learning curve has largely leveled off. I've gotten to where I can produce excellent beer--friends want to pay commercial prices for it, a local bar wants to sell it. I've done it. The learning curve has leveled off. Oh, there's more to learn, but I have no doubt in my mind that I can brew virtually any beer given a good recipe.

In each of those hobbies, the thrill of discovery motivated me probably more than anything else--plus, there was a clear way to show improvement or proficiency. There's an outcome measure.

So now what? I'm looking into getting a pilot's license. The whole flying thing is deliciously complicated and I want to learn it. There's a clear outcome measure--a license--and a more visceral indicator of success: I don't crash the plane.

Meanwhile I'll still engage in my "pastimes": golf, shooting, reloading, beer. :)

And FWIW: beer and shooting/reloading NEVER mix. Ever.

Right o , good of you to point that out .

Getting to know something about , other people always a bad idea .
Thanks ;)

Sometimes you show up at the court with your bball and there's nobody else there. Happens. Doesn't mean nobody likes basketball. This forum is not very busy on weekends. I never understood why, but I suspect a lot of people use it as a way to avoid their jobs :)

I've recently been into clock and watch repair. I buy old non-working ones on ebay and bring them back to life. At least, I attempt to.

Cool, didnt know that about you. I like watches and clocks for some reason, I font repair them or anything but think thats cool. Weird because I dont wear them . No standard bands ever fit me, haha, except maybe when I was in middle school and had adult watches. I will pm or post here a pic of this old watch from my gf. I think it was a service watch. Man I regret not getting a watch in Switzerland. But yeah I do, I like watches from mall perry ellis, to rolex. My watch is one of the original eco drives I think they are cool. And as you know a gps 1st gen garmin that you are inspiring me to charge.

To op, Rdwahahb. I have many hobbies I guess but only a few passions. Mostly I make stuff to save money and be productive. My passions are physical movement and music. I also like eating (if thats a hobby) so thats why I cook. Beer is in cooking for me and I dislike brewing, but love drinking hb. Most of my hobbies and passions are intimately splayed on this forum somewhere. I have offered some really nice guitar thought and I hope anyone interested finds it.
Sometimes you show up at the court with your bball and there's nobody else there. Happens. Doesn't mean nobody likes basketball. This forum is not very busy on weekends. I never understood why, but I suspect a lot of people use it as a way to avoid their jobs :)

I've recently been into clock and watch repair. I buy old non-working ones on ebay and bring them back to life. At least, I attempt to.

why do people keep asking questions they know i can't talk about! ;)

joking aside, i grow and cure my own tobacco...hobbyist programmer, i have a lot of fun with making my own bean flour and mixing with vital wheat gluten to see what i can make, not sure if that's a hobby or not..

although i haven't done much recently, i like carpentry....

really too much to list here....

Prior to this I spent too much time and money modifying a perfectly good 2008 Mustang GT. Built motors, added various superchargers, learned to tune with a laptop, it goes on.

I'm still a golfer. Started golfing at 39 years old and haven't been able to master it. That's what keeps me interested in it.

Before golf it was High Power Rifle competition, Long Range and XC with a service rifle. LR was mostly with a Palma rifle, also shot Palma. Pretty much abandoned it for golf.

Before High Power Rifle it was various shooting hobbies. Started loading my own ammo in 1994.

That's all of the hobbies I have any chance of doing again. There are many more but some require living in a certain part of the country. Ice fishing for example.

Last edited:
Mongoose33 said it best.
"To me--to me--a hobby is something I'm learning about. Once I have, in my mind, mastered the process and issues related to the "hobby," it ceases to be that, and becomes a pastime." However something I occasionally delve back into.

The point is I love to learn. I consider myself reasonably good at a lot of things but really not a master or artist of any. I consider it a pastime when i am not actively learning the craft and can reasonably reproduce or produce a "product" that I consider good enough to want to share with family or friends.
"I'm
a serial hobbyist. Over the years, I've learned about and to some degree mastered (in terms of some level of proficiency) the following":
Hobbies (Current)
- Fermenting Honey and fruit.
- Smoking meat
- Making Stained Glass panels (lead, Foil & Mosaic)

Pastimes:
-
Cooking
- Fishing (Soft water not the stuff you can walk on.)
- Making Kaleidoscopes (Put them in darned near anything I could think of.)
- Canoe & Kayak building (Cedar strip & Kevlar)
- Cake Decorating
-
Small Engine Repair
- Woodworking
"In each of those hobbies" and these pastimes as technology and technique advance I again have an opportunity to grow my knowledge and skill still meeting "the thrill of discovery and the learning process that has motivated me probably more than anything else--plus, there was a clear way to show improvement or proficiency."

Makes my "best half" a bit crazy as she never really knows what I will do next. :cool:

Coffee roasting
Golf
Beer, Mead, wine, cider
Cycling ( road and mtb)

Currently only doing the last 1 on the list due to having 3 kids under 4.
:eek:

I want to get in to cheese making next, as soon as things quiet down a bit. After that I wanted to get in to repairing some
Of my grandfathers cuckoo clocks. He had about a dozen of them. Seems like it would be therapeutic

Grandkids, literature, cooking, fitness, and fly fishing. And, I brew a lot, so entertaining friends.

There's a few in here I've had interest in.

Building a junkyard forge to make a knife. Or just play with fire. The interest is about 50/50, really.
Growing tobacco. Because I need to feed another vice. But not this year. This year is growing my own beer.
Watch reassembly. I don't fancy myself becoming a watch maker. Just started wearing one for the first time in years and got more than a little interested in what makes them tick. Pun always intended.

What I actually do is garden, still play a little fantasy RPG and may be getting back into D&D, fish- mostly fresh water these days and usually from a kayak (Bonafide SS127), half ass work on the house if that counts as a hobby, and collect dust on guns. Was into sabre fencing for a bit a few years ago. I'm a bit of a [off topic for this part of the forum] animal which has lead me to be active in my "local community workings", we'll say. Serial hobbyist, someone said. Yeah. It be like that.

Watch reassembly. I don't fancy myself becoming a watch maker. Just started wearing one for the first time in years and got more than a little interested in what makes them tick. Pun always intended.

The movement in a mechanical watch (and similarly any mechanical clock) hasn't changed at all in hundreds of years (with the exception of the remarkable invention of the co-axial escapement by the equally incredible, late great George Daniels). I just completely disassembled a small pocket watch that was over 100 years old, and its workings (gears, escapement, balance wheel, etc) are nearly the same as the seiko I'm wearing at the moment. So, it's confusing on the first one, but not so much after that. If you go forward with it, good luck. You'll need some advanced optics and a steady hand if you're doing watches.

Here's the old one before I took it apart, then in parts. It's all back together now. I clean all the parts in the ultrasonic with naptha.
upload_2020-1-23_19-49-14.png
upload_2020-1-23_19-50-48.png

I want to get in to cheese making next, as soon as things quiet down a bit. After that I wanted to get in to repairing some
Of my grandfathers cuckoo clocks. He had about a dozen of them. Seems like it would be therapeutic

Clocks are fascinating to me. I could go on and on...

Good luck with cheese. I've made a lot over the years. There's a very good site called cheesemaking.com out there. Very slow forum, but chock full of great info. For quick answers, you might try here at HBT.

The movement in a mechanical watch (and similarly any mechanical clock) hasn't changed at all in hundreds of years (with the exception of the remarkable invention of the co-axial escapement by the equally incredible, late great George Daniels). I just completely disassembled a small pocket watch that was over 100 years old, and its workings (gears, escapement, balance wheel, etc) are nearly the same as the seiko I'm wearing at the moment. So, it's confusing on the first one, but not so much after that. If you go forward with it, good luck. You'll need some advanced optics and a steady hand if you're doing watches.

Here's the old one before I took it apart, then in parts. It's all back together now. I clean all the parts in the ultrasonic with naptha.
View attachment 663345View attachment 663347
Yeah. I'd be taking lots of parts pictures along the way.

i like mechanical watches....they use rubies for the hinge thing that the spinning thing that goes back and forth around right? i've only ever owned chineese $40 dollar ones though....

i like mechanical watches....they use rubies for the hinge thing that the spinning thing that goes back and forth around right? i've only ever owned chineese $40 dollar ones though....

I used to always carry mechanical pocket watches, since high school, because a) the battery would never die and leave me searching all over town for the right one, and b) I just don't like wearing stuff on my wrist, or any jewelry. Whether an antique Elgin (like the one my mom had restored for me and I killed in the washing machine...) or that $40 Chinese job, it made an elegant sort of sense. Then smart phones.

I think the jewel the spinny thing rocks on is referred to generically as a "bearing." Or specifically as a "jewel." [emoji6]

Yes they do! All the axles (pinions) of all the gears should go to (or through) jewels. The most critical part, which I think you're alluding to, is the balance wheel.

In a grandfather clock, the timing is set by the pendulum. The period (time of a full swing) of the pendulum sets the timing. There's a screw at the end of that pendulum that adjusts the period. In a watch, there is an analogous part called the balance wheel. It's got a period as well, and it can be adjusted.

These things need nearly-frictionless movement. To get that, the pinions are set into jewels. Minor oiling is used. It's poetry in motion. A mechanical watch is a minor miracle of engineering and physics on your wrist. I'd love to go on, but I'll become my usual bore. There's no place on this forum to elaborate, but look around if you're interested. Here's a neat animated illustration of all.

Or specifically as a "jewel."

apparently rubies make for good firctionless bearings.....and watches are rated with how many jewels they have.....(i think)

Yes they do! All the axles (pinions) of all the gears should go to (or through) jewels. The most critical part, which I think you're alluding to, is the balance wheel.

In a grandfather clock, the timing is set by the pendulum. The period (time of a full swing) of the pendulum sets the timing. There's a screw at the end of that pendulum that adjusts the period. In a watch, there is an analogous part called the balance wheel. It's got a period as well, and it can be adjusted.

These things need nearly-frictionless movement. To get that, the pinions are set into jewels. Minor oiling is used. It's poetry in motion. A mechanical watch is a minor miracle of engineering and physics on your wrist. I'd love to go on, but I'll become my usual bore. There's no place on this forum to elaborate, but look around if you're interested. Here's a neat animated illustration of all.

beat me to my post....(i just like the clear glass ones, way cooler then trying to hook up a multimeter to a quartz watch! :))

Buncha Horologists in here!

For me, other hobbies include:

Quad RC FPV flying (micro/whoop sizes)
Various lacto-based food fermentations
Playing music (saxophones, bass, guitars, keyboards)
Making electronic instruments/guitar fx pedals

I fly mine all the time. I've got a mavic 2 pro.

It’s great fun, isn’t it? I’ve been pretty obsessed since I got the emax Tinyhawk S and Tinyhawk Freestyle and upgraded my goggles to the Fatshark HDO2. The goggles really make everything so immersive. It’s a blast!

That Mavic looks like an awesome quad to fly! Do you have the DJI goggles?

It’s great fun, isn’t it? I’ve been pretty obsessed since I got the emax Tinyhawk S and Tinyhawk Freestyle and upgraded my goggles to the Fatshark HDO2. The goggles really make everything so immersive. It’s a blast!

That Mavic looks like an awesome quad to fly! Do you have the DJI goggles?

I do not have goggles (yet). I fly with a tablet. I love it SO much. Great camera on it (4k). The mavic isn't a racer, but it has excellent obstacle avoidance. Here's a test I did (that's me on the bike). There is a tracking feature in which it will follow a subject.

I do not have goggles (yet). I fly with a tablet. I love it SO much. Great camera on it (4k). The mavic isn't a racer, but it has excellent obstacle avoidance. Here's a test I did (that's me on the bike). There is a tracking feature in which it will follow a subject.

Wow! I’ve read about the abilities of the Mavic, but that’s amazing! To be able to follow you, frame you well, and avoid trees and whatnot is incredible. Mine take quite a bit of effort to just hover!

Wow! I’ve read about the abilities of the Mavic, but that’s amazing! To be able to follow you, frame you well, and avoid trees and whatnot is incredible. Mine take quite a bit of effort to just hover!

I can do these neat panaromas, too. Check it! You can spin the image 360. and zoom.

https://www.kuula.co/post/7q1Tq

Last edited:
My hobby is reading posts with attitude by new members.
Always interesting...…o_O
That was little mean. Having only been around a couple of years, I still remember trying to get acclimated to the ins and outs of this site and so thread-bare (old) threads, well-worn topics aren't necessarily obvious. Even if you make a decent effort using "Search," it doesn't organize the results to make it clear.

Right o , good of you to point that out .

Getting to know something about , other people always a bad idea .
Thanks ;)
Robert65 wasn't ripping on you or your positive idea; he's a good guy. As I was mentioning to another member, there's a fair amount of repetitiveness on topics but discovering if there is already a thread on the subject can be hit or miss. Yes, it would be nice to post on an existing thread but there can be hurdles.
In any case, I'm always impressed by the variety and the incredibly interesting hobbies listed. Me? I'm basic. I like reading, writing, running (any exercise) and cooking.

That second picture and my cats would not end well.

That was fun to watch. I’ve said before I’d like to be you neighbor. What’s the info on that house for sale at 2:51? :D

Back