Other DIY Forums you use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Hey gang,

As a new homeowner and newlywed this year, I have some projects ahead of me. I want to do some (possibly brewing related) plumbing and electrical work in my basement/garage and need some good info like HBT provides for brewing. Where do you go for advice? I know there are a lot of places put there, but I figured I'd ask here on my favorite forum.

I've used:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/forum.php

a lot for plumbing info. A lot of knowledgeable people/plumbers give advice on the forums.

There was one other site I couldn't find that was helpful but it's on my bookmarks at home. I'll add later. It has good step by step pictures and how things work. Just brush up on your soldering skills and you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

I've worked construction since I was 16 and spent 4 years in school/on the job training to get my electrical license. Run my on handyman business now. Personally I don't belong to any forums for it as by the time I'm relaxing on a computer I'm not playing work related projects lol.

If there's anything I can do to help ya feel free to ask away. Building codes are different in different states and sometimes different areas in the same state. I know most of my local stuff but you might want to check before listening to somebody not where you're from.

Thanks guys! I'll dive in a little bit to my projects and check out some of these links.

neo71665, I might take you up on that. My biggest question right now is about venting the drain on my utility sink. My basement was roughed in for a full bathroom (I think), I just have no idea which drains are which and where to vent it. Maybe I'll post a picture and see if you can see anything.

Here's what I'm working with. I'm just confused about wet venting and if I can drain and vent into A or if I need to have a separate vent.
14873d1373385523-basement-rough-identification-help-roughin.jpg

Just a sink all you should need is a j trap below the basin and pipe into the drain. Honestly nobody around here has a basement and I don't have a plumber license so I have no experience plumbing a basement.

I let the pros play with plumbing, too crappy of a job for me.

drains won't drain without a vent. The trap stops smells and gasses from coming up thru the drain into the living space, but air must move to allow a fluid to drain - hence vent pipes, which extend beyond the roofline. You can drain into any vent, allowing for a trap under said drain.

disclaimer: I am not a plumber. However, I built 5 houses with my brothers many years ago, helped frame, did the electrical and plumbing and sheetrock myself. (we hired the finish work)

Hey gang,

As a new homeowner and newlywed this year, I have some projects ahead of me. I want to do some (possibly brewing related) plumbing and electrical work in my basement/garage and need some good info like HBT provides for brewing. Where do you go for advice? I know there are a lot of places put there, but I figured I'd ask here on my favorite forum.

Within our network of sites we have

HouseRepairTalk.com
Plumbingforums.com

and a couple of others. Those two sites are fantastic. The guys there are great and love to help out.

Within our network of sites we have

HouseRepairTalk.com
Plumbingforums.com

and a couple of others. Those two sites are fantastic. The guys there are great and love to help out.

Great, thanks Tx. I'll check them out.

A is for the lav. It vents straight up. I was worried that it was a drain for one of my first floor bathrooms. It is not. Thanks for the input guys. I now have a brew sink installed! No more running up and down stairs to clean/sanitize.

Back