Oster 5.0 cf - not a good choice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I just got back from BB with the new Oster 5.0 cf fridge. They did not have a display model so I had to just buy it.

First off, the inside width is exactly 18" - not a lot of space for 2 cornys side by side.

The temp control and light are 21 1/2" up from the bottom, a corny is 23" high, so that may also get in the way.

The depth would be ok if you remove the door plastic. But the door plastic is all molded in 1 piece. So if you remove it, then you need to come up with some solution to reattach the seal. It runs in a molded channel in the door plastic. Also the plastic is not screwed to the door, it was placed there when the foam sealant was wet, so removing that would be a challenge. One was would be to just use a sawzall and cut the produding parts, then come up with some way to finish them so they didn't look like crap.

Without removing the door plastic, it is questionable if you will have enough depth (9"). It would be very close.

Has anyone actually done this conversion? I am just about to take this back.

Kegs-new.jpg

There is a thread going on with this conversion, i got one and converted it last night. it was an easy conversion and it fits two cornies and a CO2 bottle. i had to relocate the temperature control a couple of inches up but in general it was pretty simple. See the other thread for full picture details

Thanks for the reply! I searched the forum but I should have searched all the forums. I'll be keeping the Oster and converting asap. I'll try to photograph and document as much as possible and post the results.

The depth would be ok if you remove the door plastic. But the door plastic is all molded in 1 piece. So if you remove it, then you need to come up with some solution to reattach the seal. It runs in a molded channel in the door plastic. Also the plastic is not screwed to the door, it was placed there when the foam sealant was wet, so removing that would be a challenge. One was would be to just use a sawzall and cut the produding parts, then come up with some way to finish them so they didn't look like crap.

Without removing the door plastic, it is questionable if you will have enough depth (9"). It would be very close.

I'm sure you've seen my posts in the conversion thread, but it will fit a 1/6 barrel AND 5gal corny + co2, etc without removing the door panel. You will need to take off the clear plastic shelving, but that's it.

Back