Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Available on the web with a Google search is the recipe listed below. I'd like to make a chocolate oatmeal stout that isn't weak on chocolate, coffeee, or smoothness. When I plugged this into Beersmith it looked a little light in color and I'm wondering how much chocolate and coffee I'll get out of 4 oz each of chocolate malt and roasted barley. It looks a little weak. Anyone have opinions on this as provided by BYO? I'd be doing AG version.

Sand Creek Brewing's “Oscar’s Chocolate Oatmeal Stout” Clone

5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.056; FG = 1.020; IBU = 30; SRM = 20; ABV = 4.75%

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light unhopped malt extract syrup
1.0 lbs. (453 g) Briess Munich malt (10 ºL)
1.0 lbs. (453 g) Briess wheat malt
4.0 oz. (113 g) Briess roasted barley malt
4.0 oz. (113 g) Briess chocolate malt
10.0 oz. (283 g) Briess flaked oats
1 tsp. Irish moss (boil 60 minutes)
7.1 AAU Goldings hops (bittering hop, boil 60 minutes) (1.5 oz./42 g of 4.75% alpha acid)
4.75 AAU Goldings hops (aroma hop, boil 5 minutes) (1.0 oz./28 g of 4.75% alpha acid)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast
O.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step:

Steep the crushed malts in 1.5 gallons (5.8 L) of water at 150 ºF (66 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from wort and add water to make 3 gallons (11 L). Add the malt syrup to your wort and bring to a boil.

Add the Goldings bittering hops and Irish moss then boil for 60 minutes. Add the Goldings finishing hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Now add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons (21 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC) — do not aerate (you want a high ending gravity for this beer!). Pitch your yeast and allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68 ºF (20 ºC), and hold at this temperature until the beer has finished fermenting. Then bottle or keg your beer and enjoy!

All-grain option:

This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the malt syrup with 9.0 lbs. (4.0 kg) of Briess pale 2-row malt, and mix with the rest of your grains in the extract version. Mash the grains together at 150 ºF (66 ºC) for 60 minutes.

Collect approximately 7 gallons (26 L) of wort to boil for 60 minutes and have a 5.5-gallon (21-L) yield. Lower the amount of the Goldings hops to 1.25 ounces (35 g) to account for the better hop utilization of a full wort boil. The remainder of the recipe is the same as the extract.

-BYO, November '05

I made an AG version of this on Saturday. I'll report back next month with a quick review. I can tell you that the color doesn't look light at all. It's a dark beer.

Hey that's great thadeus - I look forward to your feedback. Still looking at doing this or something close to it.

I finally tried my chocolate oatmeal stout. Its very tasty, but the color is a tad bit lighter than I expected. The flavor is awesome, but I've honestly never tried the commercial version so I can't compare the two. Next time, I may up the chocolate malt and/or roasted barley to 6oz.

Back