Orval shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krbo44

Reaction score
It's crisis for the trappistlovers here in Belgium. As you al know all the trappistbeers are free to sell in bars allover Belgium and foreign countries (except West-Vleteren). A trappist beer (only 7 are, 6 in Belgium(Westmalle,West-Vleteren,Achel,Chimay,Rochefort and Orval) and 1 in Holland(La Trappe)) may only been called trappist and have the logo if it's brewed in a trappist-monastery and a part of the money is used for charity. The rest of the winnings they invest in the brewery and to support the maintenance of the abbey and the monks. The problem is that some trappist-abbeys brew more in quantity than others and with its rising popularity and exponating export to other countries all over the world they can't cope with the demand. So, since a few months "Orval" can't deliver any more and bars and restaurants had to sell their reserves. I saw it happen even in my little town (Wervik, near Ypres), the one after the other bar didn't had "Orval" anymore.This morning I went to a big wholesaler and they didn't had it also. I think the inevitable is gonna happen and Orval will be sold just as the Westvleteren, 1 crate per person every two months. I understand that foreigners like these trappistbeers, but it's a fragile economy and sensitive subject. I have nothing against export, but when you see that some people gain lots of money selling for example westvleteren at 400 dollars a crate(while it costs 45 or 50 dollars at the abbey) it makes me think. The human being's lust for gain has destroy allready many things in the past, don't let them destroy this please. It's several hundreds years of culture, tradition and recipe-transmission from monk to monk. Enjoy it all you want when you come to Belgium, and if you want to buy some abroad, buy small quantities like 3 or 6 bottles maximum.So everybody will keep enjoy this fantastic beers like it's meant to be. So beerlovers allover the world, PASS THE MESSAGE please, thanks!!!

I'm really sorry to hear that! I love Orval and am really glad that I can get it here in the US. I reserve it as a "special occasion" beer though and I only have about one bottle per month or less. I honestly hope the situation balances out for you all over there.

:mug:

I can walk to my local grocery store any day of the week and buy Orval (I'm in Seattle, WA, USA). I'm sorry to say, but the people buying it here aren't the problem. If the Abbey was willing to sell locally first there wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps for them, the export market is more more lucrative, enabling them to increase their profit margin, and do more social good with the money they earn (after-all, that's their mission, right?). If your local market was willing to pay more, then they'd likely sell locally first.

nobody is making Orval do anything. if they stopped selling to local bars its because Orval chose to do so. I'd direct your frustration at them.

My local liquor shop gets about 12 bottles a year....last time I was there they had 6, I bought 6 and didn't see any more for about 3 months....so I buy it when I see it...and probably have one a month...its pretty rare here in Chicago.

Quite popular in my area too. Along with being in large supermarkets. I actually saw a price drop in a larger supermarket last year. It's gone back up this year so it sounds like they can't keep up. I don't hoard but I would buy three or four, drink a couple and then age a couple. Great beer.

Back