Ornamental grass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I have several spots of Ornamental grass on my property. I have never had to deal with this stuff before, and I am thinking I am supposed to cut it down since last year's growth appears to be falling over and snapping off in the recent high winds.

Anyone know if I should be trimming this stuff down? Any issue if I do? Will it kill the plant?

I think this is the same type I have if it helps:
ornamental-grasses-2-01.jpg

That looks like pampas grass to me. Folks around here simply burn it back around spring time. Be careful though as it burns very fast and hot. If it is close to a building at all, I would not attempt it.

That looks like pampas grass to me. Folks around here simply burn it back around spring time. Be careful though as it burns very fast and hot. If it is close to a building at all, I would not attempt it.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Here is a little info on it. It's not very popular around here by the native plant lovers. It is very hard to get rid of. Pampas grass.

We have lots of ornamental beach grasses down here. We cut them down in the winter to leave a few inches of "old growth" above ground. I just use a hedge trimmer and slice it off, leaving a nice clean cut.

Cut it back by about 1/2 to 2/3 of the total height, a weed wacker or hedge trimmer works great. Give it a shot of root stimulator after, just pour a bucket of mix on it. Give it a shot of Ironite when it starts putting out new growth. Should perk up & come back just fine with some noticable growth. Regards, GF.

Back