Original Gravity too high??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beestin

Reaction score
I got a kit from Midwest called Octane IPA. I found online the OG should be 1.067 OG (1.060 to 1.070). I used the hydrometer that came with my kit and it was more like 1.08!? Is that too high? Should I add more water to the fermenter bucket? I just brewed last night so no bubbling of the airlock yet. Help!
Brett

Also the OG i found was from the internet - not from Midwest so i'm not 100% sure it's correct. From what i've read 1.08 sounds high?

Beestin said:
Also the OG i found was from the internet - not from Midwest so i'm not 100% sure it's correct. From what i've read 1.08 sounds high?

If you added top off water, perhaps the reading you took was from before you added it or the water wasn't mixed in. Worst case, it'll be higher abv. Tasty kit, I've done that one before.

i boiled 2 gallons separate, then 3 gallons to make the wort. The reading was after i mixed it all together. Possibly some of the water boiled off and i dont have 5 full gallons anymore? I didn't think about it when i put the wort in the fermenter but there was a 5 gallon mark on the outside. Can i open the fementer to see how high the wort is? If it's below 5 gallons should i fill it with water to the 5 gallon mark?

Bobo - did you use the oak chips? I have a carboy i'll use as a secondary after 2 weeks in the fermeter (per the book i bought)

It's really hard to miss your OG with an extract batch if you used the correct amount of water. Actually, it's near impossible if you used all the extract and the right amount of water. Either way, no worries. I also agree that this is a great kit. I made it this past spring and had it on tap this summer, good beer.

What happens if the OG is too high (i.e. i didn't put enough water in) Does it make a "thicker" beer in the end?? I had just put the water in with the wort so possibly didn't mix it well enough before taking sample.

Higher OG may result in a higher alcohol content, since there is more sugar for the yeast to ferment. This assumes sufficient yeast count and fermentation conditions to get down to the original target gravity.

What happens if the OG is too high (i.e. i didn't put enough water in) Does it make a "thicker" beer in the end?? I had just put the water in with the wort so possibly didn't mix it well enough before taking sample.

If you're volume is correct, then like I said, your OG is not REALLY high. You're reading might be, but not the beer. Read what I linked and relax, you're only the fifth poster today who's come in with this issue.

How soon after the boil did you take the reading? Did you shut off the boil, dump in the top-off water, mix, and the take the reading? No other cooling? The wort could have still been well over 100F, giving you a reading that would be right around 1.080 for those temperatures.

Beestin said:
i

Bobo - did you use the oak chips? I have a carboy i'll use as a secondary after 2 weeks in the fermeter (per the book i bought)

I didn't use the oak chips. I soaked them in good bourbon and put them in a secondary with a dry stout. :) the Irish stout kit from Midwest, actually. As far as opening the fermenter, leave it alone. You should be able to kind of see the liquid line from the outside. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get cracking on your next brew :)

That being said, I want to brew with Revvy and Yooper some day. They rule.

I checked last night and the level was only about 4 1/2 gallons so i opened it and put in about 6 bottled waters to bring it closer to 5 gal. Was that a bad idea? Also I'm in Iowa and we just went from 80 degree temps to a high of 50! I have the fermenter in my basement. The temp says 68-70 right now and the airlock started bubbling over night so i'm good now but is there a temp i should NOT go below? I could bring the fermenter upstairs but i read not to move it whle its fermenting. I dont have the heat on so i'm afraid it might start cooling down! Any suggestions? Thanks! Its my first brew so i'm still in the dark on a lot

Back