Original Gravity Adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvorp

Reaction score
I'm new to the the homebrew process and was wondering how to adjust my OG readings. I got an OG reading of 1.039. The recipe calls for the OG to be 1.042 -1.046. Is there any way to adjust my wort - which has cooled after the boiling process and the additional water has been added?

Thanks
bv

bvorp,
you could add additional sugars during fermentation. Simply boil some cane sugar, chill and ad during primary fermentation or you could add fructose to increase the gravity. However, I would suggest taking a gravity reading prior to chilling so that you can make any modification before going into the fermenter. Just my 2 cents.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

I would first suggest you post in the correct forum, like beginners brewing. Let me put you at ease. You are only three points off the low end so its not much to worry about. You will still make beer and while it might be lacking a little in alcohol if the process was good the beer will be good. RDWHAHB. To answer your question the quick and dirty way to correct the OG would be to add a boiled and cooled sugar solution. Since you didn't say batch size, I cant say the amount of sugar. A better way would be to add a boiled and cooled extract solution but the original problem of how much still remains. Personally I wouldn't worry about it on this batch. I would try to figure out what caused the low grav so it can be corrected on the next batch. Once again you will make beer. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to HBT!
When you add the top off water to wort, it is nearly impossible to get it mixed together because the wort is so much heavier than water. The reading is thrown off because you have more water in the hydrometer tube than you have wort. More times than not readings like that are a mixing issue, not a brewing issue.

It is impossible to get a different gravity than what the instructions say unless you add way too much top off water. Don't worry, the yeast will mix up the wort and water in no time as it ferments.

Back