Original corny keg posts and poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crushdaley

Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone make the original style ball lock corny keg posts and poppers? I have a few kegs with the originals and a few with conversions and the original originals just work so much better but I can't find them for sale anywhere.
Anyone know anything about this?

Never tried replacing any of mine, but they look to be the same as you can get almost anywhere.

Maybe a picture of what yours are??

Moorbeer sells a few types of posts and poppets.

One example:https://www.morebeer.com/products/firestone-keg-poppet-pin-lock.html

More on same page. You will have to determine the make of your kegs, and in some cases, new style or old style.

I refurbished a large collection of 30 plus year old kegs and replaced the poppets(they really needed it too) and found the universals were easier to use, but I had three different types of kegs to deal with. But I did use some OEM style ones too.

The universals come out more easily for cleaning. This is not needed if you flush with PBW & Starsan, but is nice to be able to do if you ever get an infected kegs.

AB344243-EB47-47B9-BAB4-B07349986051.jpeg
AB344243-EB47-47B9-BAB4-B07349986051.jpeg This is the original style I’m talking about. The “in” post has a 12 sided star pattern and the poppets have a wide band of rubber seal and they come out of the post very easy.

05C1E700-569C-44FE-A8F9-08DB7DA1E0E4.jpeg
These are examples of replacements or maybe other styles of kegs. Note the “in” posts just have indents in the six sides surface to identify them and the poppets have a smaller seal. These poppets usually aren’t as easy to remove or impossible without ruining them.

Thanks That poppet looks like it’s the one I’m looking for. Still it would be nice if someone made the original style posts.

The only thing that's critical about the post is the thread. So like @Tobor_8thMan says, just a different wrench. At least they all use the same one now. Hope you've found what you need. Cheers!

Back