Organic Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Anyone know of any organic brewer's yeast out in the universe? I'm looking to make an entirely organic beer and am trying to find an organic yeast. Wyeast, White Labs ect don't make any they tell me. Ideas? Thanks Much!

you could always catch your own or spontaneously ferment. you just won't know what you're getting out of it.

I'm curious as to what makes a yeast 'organic' do you mean certified organic?

I would think all yeast was organic starting from a single cell and multiplying out. I've never heard of a genetically modified yeast or anyone showering yeast with petroleum based chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was on a similar idea but I don't know enough about what goes on at places like white labs to comment.

i always thought the organic label was for harvested food. i googled organic yeast and this came up -- http://www.organicyeast.com/

the whole idea of organic yeast seems a little suspect to me. but maybe it is like having an organic mushroom. idk.

Organic yeast is fed and grown on organic substrates and food sources. For the most part it doesn't seem to exist except in the labs of big breweries.

If you do a few generations of starters using organic wort, you should effectively have organic yeast, by that rubric.

You could also culture a yeast from say westmalle or chouffe or some older rustic brewery-that would be as close as you could come I would think without getting the organic labelling. Also reach out to Brew Organic on the west coast they know a lot about the organic scene

^^^ Organic literally means carbon based or containing carbon. So every living thing on earth is organic.

When it comes to food, organic means grown with natural fertilizer (usually dung) and without pesticides. So if you really want to compare yeast to organically grown food, try to find some organically grown malt or malt extract and use that to make your wort for the yeast starter. Honestly though, I don't see any real benefit except maybe peace of mind if you're paranoid about stuff like that.

Thanks all. Someone asked me if I could make an ALL organic beer. Most breweries without killer labs get by using regular yeast with organic malt and hops. There is an exemption where they don't need to use organic yeast if there isn't any reliably available. Summit Brewing in St. Paul MN has a killer lab and cultured their own organic yeast....maybe I can steal some;)

I'm still rather confused about what would make yeast "organic" and why that would be desirable. :drunk::confused:

Thanks all. Someone asked me if I could make an ALL organic beer. Most breweries without killer labs get by using regular yeast with organic malt and hops. There is an exemption where they don't need to use organic yeast if there isn't any reliably available. Summit Brewing in St. Paul MN has a killer lab and cultured their own organic yeast....maybe I can steal some;)

I think the Summit yeast was a spontaneous yeast that they captured by a river. If you are looking for that just look up 'capturing wild yeast' it'll take you a while without a lab but it can be done- and that will be your organic yeast.

Most or all yeast is non GMO. I think maybe what your looking for is wild yeast or spontaneous fermentation. Which would probably give you a funky beer. That said I've entered an all organic comp and u can use any yeast basically, im pretty shure most yeast would meet organic standards/guidelines but if it doesn't then I would myself have to look into it more but it just isn't labeled or marketed yet if need be at all,yet some of yeast states "non-gmo" on the pack. So @ BigFloyed what does this mean to you-that some yeast states non-gmo on the pack? I know I wouldn't want to eat a non organic apple (look into the dirty-dozen list) one of the worst pesticide laced foods we have that will not wash off along with a ton of other poison laced produce. Food is a profitable industry that will add or manipulate anything to it to preserve it/retain long shelf life and have huge yield and loading it with unnatural things and practices that cause us harm in the long run. Its where cancer and disease/behavural problems begin. Its everywhere in processed food especially and its not getting any better. Food is completely being raped and mutated to the point of not really being food. Almost everything in a package is sugar/salt/wheat. Not to metion all the bad oils that is used for almost everything. Causing havoc on most peoples immunity. Great diets to make us fat and cause health problems- Im not buying it- are you?. Then they drink their diet coke which artificial sugar which has been proven to make you fat by disrupting brain chemicals and cause hosts of diseases to stem from that. Yet since its on the shelf that makes it safe right, the fda passes it. So then we believe everything the lobbyist gets paid off to pass stuff? Food needs fair labeling and fair (humane) warnings just like cigarettes have on them. Even those labels get out of hand though and become misleading. If there are over 100 detected pesticides on my apple I want that listed as an ingredient that Im consuming.

Back