Organic brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevelynzx

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wanted to start another conversation around the notion of organic brewing.

I'm looking to brew (as close to) organic versions of a few of the popular recipes from this site (Irish Red by Mystic, Centennial Blonde by BM). For the Centennial, I was able to source all organic malts from NorthernBrewer, except for the Vienna. Not bad.

So my first question is:
1) Is buying "organic" malt really necessary from non-U.S. countries? I know alot of the EU has banned things like glyphosate, and I'm wondering if that's why it's tough to find organic malt other than Briess. Maybe the assumptions behind my hunt for organic Maris Otter are wrong.

Second part of that question - I did find that Weyermann does indeed sell some organic malts, however, I haven't had any luck in sourcing anything other than Briess (Northern Brewer), even with the tips in the other organic threads. I see they're available to commercial buyers.
2) Anyone have a good source of anything other than the Briess stuff? (i.e. organic Vienna, MO, etc.). I'm in NJ but am used to driving far or ordering ingredients online.

Lastly, hops:
3) Does anyone know if "organic hops" even make sense? I could see a scenario where hops aren't really prone to pests and the use of pesti/herbicide is normally at a minimum in "conventional" hop cultivation. I just don't know - looking for some of your experienced opinions.

Sooo looking for everyone's experience in terms of organic brewing. Feel free to pipe in even if you don't have a specific answer. Thanks in advance.

Nope - the EU toyed with banning glyphosate but ended up giving it a 5-year extension. Organic hops and malt are certainly a thing here, albeit not massive - I think the general thinking is more that 5% ethanol is going to do your body far more harm than trace amounts of what are generally pretty safe pesticides (and many organic ones can be more harmful despite being "natural").

Warminster are probably your best bet for a good range of organic malts, including Otter, crystals and roasted, but you may find it easier to get hold of Crisp who do basic UK 2-row and I think one or two others like crystal. Schill do some equivalents on the Continent.

Hops are incredibly disease-prone, particularly here in the UK, which is why there's been a lot of effort devoted to breeding new varieties with disease resistance. So think of new varieties rather than the old landraces. But eg Farams list 33 varities of organic hops, although it's rare to see them at retail level.

Thanks for the reply. Those look like good sources, now if only I could find something like that in the States.

Crisp seems reasonably well-distributed Stateside, and one does see some people using Warminster so it might be worth talking to someone who sells their "normal" products and see if you can get a special order in.

Update:
HBT sponsor Farmhouse brewing supply has organic hops:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/search.php?search_query=organic

And a local maltster here in PA responded to an email inquiry, turns out they have organic malt:

http://www.appmalt.com/index.php

2-Row Barley – Base Series (All are high extract and can be used as a base) / $0.85/lbs
• Pale Malt: Our staple with high extract and enzymes, tastes like crackers, grain and honey
• Golden Cracker: Adds a flavorful toast or cracker taste to your beer
• Butter Biscuit: A malty, sweet, toffee flavor profile. Still light in color
Wheat -Soft, red winter: Creamy, sweet, malty / $0.87 per lbs
Organic Pale Malt: Sweeter than most pales, like a British style / $1.00 per lbs
Organic Honey Malt: Super sweet and packs a punch / $1.15 per lbs
Rye Malt: Adds crispness and provides that distinctive rye taste / $0.93 per lbs
Custom Malts: Do you have an idea for your own type of special malt? We can work together to make it happen.
• Ou handafted Malt athes povide the finest uality podut guaanteed to enhane you eveage•

upload_2018-2-1_9-19-58.jpeg

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread...

As the options of organic food items continues to grow, I'm curious what options we have for organic malts for brewing. I expect the cost will be higher, so my decision to use an organic malt will be balanced by cost.

I see that Briess has organic malts, but the prices seem to be ~60% higher (NB has pale at ~$54/50lb and organic pale at ~$87/50lb). I don't think it is worth it to me for that price increase. That price isn't too much more than Crisp Maris Otter ~$73/55lb, however American pale malt isn't the same as Maris Otter. From a post above, the looks like Great Western Malting might have organic malts available.

Does anybody know of other organic malt options? I'm certainly open to purchasing from a local maltster. Root Shoot is local to me, but I don't see they advertise any organic option.

I'm certainly not going to stop brewing just because there might not be organic options, but I'm interested in what might be available.

Back