Oregon Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongtokes

Reaction score
Hello all, I wanted to ask for everyone's opinion on this. One of my go-to store bought beers is Oregon Pale Ale from a place called Deception Brewing Company, and I want to try my best at recreating it, or something like it.

Here is the description that comes straight from their website: "Oregon Pale Ale depicts the best of both worlds; American and English Pale Ales. Rich, light-bodied with a smooth, dry, malty flavor. Brewed with NW grown Cascade hops and the finest American and European malts. 40 IBU 5.5% ABV"

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, thanks.

Sounds like any of dozens of APAs out there.........40 IBUs is easy to duplicate. Juggling hop additions for bittering and flavor/aroma and choosing suitable malts will be the challenge. Marris Otter, Vienna, and American Two Row probably.... minimal crystal. "Rich" contradicts "light bodied and dry", thus must mean "flavorful".......

There are many APAs out there that could have the same fanciful description........ The distinctive character of an Oregon Pale Ale would be a large dose of "political correctness" and "social engineering".

A well chosen name for a brewery........ To be an "OPA", it must be brewed in or near Portlandia.

H.W.

Thanks, yes I'm in Portland. I was half looking for a recipe that would resemble the OPA which I could tweek if necessary, and half looking for specific ideas for malts and hops that would be good to start with when I try it myself.

Thanks, yes I'm in Portland. I was half looking for a recipe that would resemble the OPA which I could tweek if necessary, and half looking for specific ideas for malts and hops that would be good to start with when I try it myself.

The description specifies Cascade as the dominant or single.............. It specifies the IBUs, and the ABV, and mentions American and English pale ales as related, it also mentions European malts. I would start by looking at pale ale recipes that included Cascade as the dominant hop, and perhaps Fuggles or East Kent Goldings. I would expect Marris Otter and possibly some Vienna or Munich for color and flavor. Find something that sounds about right, and go from there..........

The second American Pale Ale in the recipe section sounds like a good starting point. Called Da Yoopers it has ONLY Cascade hops, about the right IBUs, and is based on Marris Otter, Vienna, and Munich with some crystal malts. I'd brew that for starters, use brew software and adjust the SRM to what appeals to you by adjusting the crystal malts. Then look at playing with hops next brew day....... do you want it spicier and less grapfruity, etc.... You can go anywhere you want from here.....

Sorry about my flip comments in the previous post....... I spent a number of the early years of my life in Western Oregon....mid 60's to early 70's after being an uprooted small town boy from the opposite side of the state..... as far east as you can go. I coped as children / teens do, and turned my back on the culture and climate as soon as I was able to leave the nest. I would probably never go back to Western Oregon & Washington were it not for relatives that I reluctantly travel to visit on occasion. I've spent most of my life in South Central Montana in an extremely rural area that God made for people like me.

H.W.

Thank you! Is there a yeast you think would be best to use for this?

There are lots of suitable yeasts...... Check out this page:

http://byo.com/resources/yeast

Wyeast 1056 at the top of their chart looks like an excellent choice.

Personally I prefer the dry yeasts and there are a fair number to choose from..... Check out what you LHBS has on hand, and make your selection from those....

H.W.

Back