Ordering yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Which Home Brew website ships a package of yeast and the shipping cost is less then the actual yeast? I know damn well it doesn't cost 11.00 to ship a 4.25 Fl. Oz. package of yeast and an ice pack.

When I buy yeast online, it's always with a big purchase from someone like NB - who offer flat rate shipping. Buy a few kits + yeas and priming sugar and still only pay $8 in shipping. Even cheaper is harvesting/washing yeast. You can get 4 or so batches of yeast for one $7 WYeast smack pack with a little DME in a starter.

Yeah I ordered from Northern Brewer and apparently I didn't click the liquid yeast option. I would have just used the dry yeast pack they sent however after doing my calculations the dry yeast package is only good for 10-15 liters or 3.92 gallons. Kinds of messed up they wouldn't send the proper dosage of yeast.

I have 3 LHBS i can chose from I live 30 miles from each one! Not very Local!

MY we are testy today.

So many options. Got and DME? Do a quick starter. If you HAD gotten the liquid you would have been doing one anyway, right? You did the math on how many cells were in the liquid yeast, right?

No DME, just pitch as is because I am assuming it is a 5-gallon kit. It will be just fine.

Neither of those are acceptable? Nut up and drive the 30 miles or pay the shipping.

Yeah I ordered from Northern Brewer and apparently I didn't click the liquid yeast option. I would have just used the dry yeast pack they sent however after doing my calculations the dry yeast package is only good for 10-15 liters or 3.92 gallons. Kinds of messed up they wouldn't send the proper dosage of yeast.

Pitch rate calculators for dry yeast underestimate the number of yeast cells in an 11 gram pack of yeast. What was the estimated OG of your planned brew, and what yeast was shipped?

I always buy yeast locally. If my LHBS doesn't have the yeast I want (or even if they do and it's a few months old) they are happy to order it. They get shipments in every week, so if I plan ahead a little I can have very fresh liquid yeast in hand right before brew day.

MY we are testy today.

So many options. Got and DME? Do a quick starter. If you HAD gotten the liquid you would have been doing one anyway, right? You did the math on how many cells were in the liquid yeast, right?

No DME, just pitch as is because I am assuming it is a 5-gallon kit. It will be just fine.

Neither of those are acceptable? Nut up and drive the 30 miles or pay the shipping.

Not testy, sorry if I came off that way. Yes I have DME , I usually start my yeast starters for liquid yeast on Wednesdays if I'm brewing on Saturday, not sure how to make a starter for dry yeast. I have Saflager s-23 dry lager yeast.

Pitch rate calculators for dry yeast underestimate the number of yeast cells in an 11 gram pack of yeast. What was the estimated OG of your planned brew, and what yeast was shipped?

Saflager s-23 dry lager yeast OG 1.047

Not testy, sorry if I came off that way. Yes I have DME , I usually start my yeast starters for liquid yeast on Wednesdays if I'm brewing on Saturday, not sure how to make a starter for dry yeast. I have Saflager s-23 dry lager yeast.

You generally don't make starters for dry yeast. The population of a typical packet is somewhere around 200B, and they are cheap. Pitch 2 packets if needed.

Spoke with Northern Brewers, the brew master said to rehydrate the yeast make a 1.5 liter starter with 4 oz of DME and it should be ready for use Friday night or Saturday.

Back