Ordering options on kits from Austin Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I'm about to place my first order with Austin Homebrew and have a few questions about which options you all feel are worth the extra cost.

I'll be brewing the extract Magic Hat #9 clone to convince myself that warmer weather is coming, and can get the following upgrades:

The first choice in each list is the default choice.

Yeast:
- White Labs English Ale (WLP002) (adds $6.99 to cost of kit)
- Wyeast British Ale II 1335 (adds 6.99)
- Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast (adds $3.99)
- None (adds $0)

BrewVint Yeast Fuel:
- Yes (adds $1.49)
- No (adds $0

Cold Pack:
- Yes (adds $0.99)
- No (adds $0)

1% Alcohol Boost:
- No (adds $0)
- Yes (adds $1.99)

Beer Bottle Caps:
- No (adds $0)
- Yes (adds $1.59)

So I've brewed three batches so far. The first two (APA and IPA) I pitched dry yeast (Safale US-05 in both) right in to the fermenter and things worked. On my third (an English brown ale) I rehydrated the yeast (Danstar Nottingham) and pitched and things worked.

This makes me reluctant to spend money on more expensive yeast since the ones I've used have worked fine. Each other kit I bought the yeast just came with it (there were no choices), so I don't know how much the yeasts I used typically cost.

Is there a good reason to spend the extra on the more expensive yeasts? Would you recommend one over the other?

My success so far with yeast also makes me weary of the yeast fuel. Seems unnecessary to me.

Cold pack? Boost? Anyone have experience with this?

I know it's not big bucks, but these add-ons certainly can add up (along with shipping). But the selection at Austin is amazing compared to my LHBS.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Im interested in hearing about that #9 clone when you get it finished. I just bought the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone from Austin and I chose the White Labs yeast and the fuel with cold pack. My first time ordering from Austin, but not my first with the White Labs. Good luck

Generally, at this time of year you don't need a cold pack for liquid yeasts as it's plenty cold! I never order the "boost" as I want a nice balanced beer, and am not concerned about the alcohol level and boosting it.

If you're ordering dry yeast, no need ever for a cold pack.

I'd get a dry S05 yeast (not the windsor suggested) and choose no for that option as well and just order the yeast separately.

I have brewed this kit before and it turned out well. I think it comes down to personal preference, when talking about yeast. Some people like dry and some like liquid. Most clones I brew are not exact anyways, but closely resemble their commercial inspiration. Pro brewers use liquid yeast but that doesn't mean dry yeast isn't going to give you a beer similar to #9.

The boost only adds a little more alcohol to your finished product (I believe its just corn sugar). It's probably cold enough outside, that you don't need the cold pack during shipping. I have always thought the cold packs were useless for yeast since they will only keep the yeast cold for maybe a day, and it takes about 7 to ship to my door.

I'd get a dry S05 yeast.

Looked on Austin Brewing's site and couldn't find S-05 dry yeast. Saw S-04 and US-05. As you can tell, I know nothing about yeast yet. Any guidance would be appreciated.

SKHzS.gif

I just went by the pic, which has changed.

One thing to remember is that you should be using a starter with liquid yeasts. Especially if you are kicking up the OG.

One thing to remember is that you should be using a starter with liquid yeasts. Especially if you are kicking up the OG.

The OG of this kit is by no means high, so why are you so convinced that liquid is the way to go? Not arguing, just curious.

I am in agreement with most. No need for the cold pack with dry yeast ever and even with liquid yeast its cold this time of year. And when its hot the cold pack melts and doesnt do the job anyways. So no to the cold pack, no to the boost, no to the caps as I keg but you may need them. No to the yeast fuel thingy. So the only thing is the yeast. Either pick the Windsor or go with US-05 a suggested. Personally, Im a fan of US-05 and thats always going to be my first choice. I find it a clean fermenting yeast at about 65 degrees so there are not any yeast flavors that go whacky. Just good clean beer flavor. But thats just me.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll likely place my order tonight.

I have only done a few beers but I am a big fan of US-05 for American and S-04 for English/Irish beers and will probably stick with those unless feeling adventurous.

mgr_stl said:
The OG of this kit is by no means high, so why are you so convinced that liquid is the way to go? Not arguing, just curious.

I didn't say that liquid yeast was the way to go. Just mentioning that dry yeast has a lot more yeast cells than a liquid vial. To get a quick and successful fermentation with liquid yeast you should use a starter. Try using a pitching calculator like mr malty.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back