Ordering my first Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
I am planning on ordering my first rhizomes this year. I have been growing veggies for years and with my brewing hobbie I thought it would be an interesting addition to my garden. By-laws in my city will not allow me to erect a structure over 8' in my yard. Now my thought is this. I have an 8' shed what if I allow the plant to grow up the side of the shed and train it onto the roof?

I am not out to start any commercial production just a novelty in the yard. Do you think that it will work?

From what i have read you will need twine to train your vines to climb. If your house is two stories then you could tie one end to the rain gutter to give you a longer run for the vines. you could also use the peak of a one story house to attach your twine to.

Vines dont have to grow straight up, they do this commercially to save space and for ease of harvesting. I've seen them crawling on the ground. They WILL however climb on anything and everything in their path.

Personally I grow them on my fences (appx. 4' tall) for ease of picking, they do fine.

I have an arbor that I grew quite a few hops on. It worked fine, I just had to keep training the bines around the metal, since they really want to grow straight up.

Here is a picture of them coming up in June:
DSCF06671.JPG

And here is a picture right before harvesting in September:
DSCF2013.JPG

Back