Quantcast

ordering live yeast in the mail

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pfish83

Reaction score
I ordered brew supplies from Northern Brewer in Minnesota but live in NJ. My concern is for the yeast liability. I ordered live yeast. It won't be here for 5 days. I ordered it with two freezer packs but forgot that Monday was a holiday so it's taking longer than expected. Should I be concerned?

theredben

Reaction score
No. Are you used to using liquid yeast? Were you planning on making a starter?

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
This time of year, ice packs are kind of a moot point. Just do a starter and you'll be fine, I promise.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
Agreed, it is cold just about everywhere so they should be fine. But when in doubt just make a starter.

dmercer

Reaction score
White labs or Wyeast? if it's a Wyeast pack you at leave have some indication ahead of time of viability based on the pack swelling. If you ordered a White Labs vial, or the smack pack seems a big sluggish, make a starter with it. Even if it arrives a little frozen, you should be fine.

evilhomer

Reaction score
Everywhere between MN and NJ is pretty damn cold this time of year. Your box will be indoors for a few hours while its at a distribution center transferring trucks. The delivery guys truck probably has heat but the back is still pretty cold. So even without ice packs it would still be good to go.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I ordered wyeast in arizona in the middle of summer. the packs come, they are warm, but they work. I wouldn't worry about it.

sjbeerman

Reaction score
I would advise to always make a starter with liquid yeast. Even "fresh" yeast arriving at your door could only have 50% viability. Making a starter ensures a healthy start to your fermentation.