ordering kits and storage "what do you do"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
to get the most out of the flat rate shipping. ordering kits only "good on odds and ends". how many kits do you guys order ? outside of the yeast "fridge" where do you keep the spec grains,hops and LME? do you put it all in the fridge ? freezer ? room temp ? what and where ?

Now that i have my setup where i want it. the only thing i need to order is kits. to take advantage of the shipping. ordering multiple kits would be best.

What are you guys doing ? :tank:

I order about two kits at a time. Hops in the freezer and yeast in the refrigerator. The kits I buy come with the grain already crushed, which can be a problem. Ideally you would crush your grain on your brew day because crushed grain absorbs moisture from the air. The grains I purchase online come in a vacuumed sealed bag, which helps, and are fine stored at room temperature. So just keep your grain in a dry environment and everything will be fine.

Liquid Yeast in the fridge; keep an eye on the best use date, if you go over that you will need to make a starter (probably should do so anyway)
Dry yeast can be kept at room temp, not sure if fridge extends the best use date but I keep them in the fridge.
Crushed grains should be kept like cereal; they aren't that good once they turn stale due to exposure of oxygen. Keep air tight or use as soon as possible; keep in fridge if you can.
Uncrushed grains are a different story, just store in a bucket at room temp until you need them; they keep pretty well.
Hops go in the freezer.
LME is kept like syrup or honey, out of the light and at room temp.

So kits that will sit for a 4-6 months, order them with dry yeast and uncrushed grains.
Their are several threads here on how to crush the grain without a mill; you only will be dealing with a few pounds so it shouldn't be that big of a hassle.

I put my hop packets in zip lock freezer bags on the top shelf of the freezer. Yeast packets in the butter cubby on the fridge door. LME & bags of grain on the fridge shelf. DME,dextrose,& other powders in a bag in the pantry.

I've been buying 2 kits at a time.

Yeast - in the fridge
Extract - in the basement, it stays about 65 degrees all the time
Hops - freezer
Steeping grains - I've been putting in the freezer, but maybe I should put them in a ziplock and toss them in the fridge?? What say ye??

I normally buy 2 at a time and put my grains in the freezer as well, but I have a chest freezer with plenty of room so it is not an issue.

Whole grains will keep fine in an airtight container in the pantry or brewroom.Crushed in tight container in the fridge. I put the zip tied bags of grain in the fridge either way. Fine so far.

Some places sell kits with DME (AHS does) and that can be the second one you brew. DME stores better than fresh.

When I did extract the kits went into the refrigerator and were used within 3 weeks.

Now for AG with bulk grains and hops. The grain is in buckets with Gamma Lids in the basemnet, the yeast is in the fridge and the hops are in the freezer.

I also have frozen yeast vials in the freezer, 7 varieties.

Back