Ordering Dry Yeast in the Mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
My LHBS only carries S-23 and Mauri Lager 497 for lager yeasts, and I'm put off by the reviews on both.

I can get 34/70 mailed to me though, how is dry yeast in the mail?

I plan on pitching two packages for an OG ~1.050.

If I bought say, 5-6 packages to make the shipping worth while, how should I store the extra packages? In the fridge or Freezer?

Alternatively, should I bite the bullet and use S-23?

I'd say get the 34/70. I've used that, S-23, and mangrove jack M84, and the 34/70 was far and away my favorite. Not even close.

I've had dry yeast mailed without issue. You should still be early enough in the year that heat won't cause any problems.

I'm not as sure that I'd order a bunch extra though unless you plan to use it up quickly. Maybe harvest healthy slurry after the batch instead?

Dry yeast in the mail is fine. A lot of random shipping/storing goes on before it gets to the local homebrew store anyway. I believe Saflager is made in France and Belgium, while Lallemand/Danstar is Canadian.

For storage the fridge is fine if you're going to use it within a year or so. I've had some stored for a couple years that was flawless.

I've used dry yeast only for 2 years. Where I'm stationed now, I can't ship liquids. Besides, shipping takes 2-3 weeks.

I put my dry yeast packets in the fridge. I've used yeast that I've had in there for a year and it's fermented like a champ. I buy all my dry yeast from Austin and I always get a packet that has at least, but most often more than, a year left.

I keep all my dry yeast in the fridge and has never had a problem with that.

Also, I have been using the Lager 497 alot and it has been working great for me, both using dry, using the slurrry and different temperatures.

I order dry yeast through the mail all the time. Besides, how do you think your local hobby shop gets it? I've had great luck with S-23, it's my standard clean lager yeast.

Good points made by all.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Cheers!

Edit- came across this info on Dry Yeast Storage:

One very important factor
that the distributor and beer maker should keep in mind is that Active Dry
Yeast is dormant or inactive and not inert, so keep refr
igerated at all times. Do not store in a tin roofed
warehouse that becomes an oven or on a window sill t
hat gets equally hot. Active Dry Yeast looses about
20% of its activity in a year when it is
stored at 75 F and only 4% when refrigerated.
(source: Dr. Clayton Cone, rec.crafts.brewing 03/03/03)

Back